The Cure get back in their groove with 1st song in years

After a long, 16 years, The Cure and its frontman Robert Smith are back. – Photo by @RollingStone / X.com

It's been 45 years since The Cure first experimented with ethereal instrumentals and colorful lyrics, breaking the barriers of punk rock and paving the way for a new genre, post-punk. Their debut album, "Three Imaginary Boys," captured the spotlight with their hit song "Boys Don't Cry" on the deluxe version. Along with Joy Division, The Smiths, Siouxsie and The Banshees, to name a few, The Cure was one of the seminal post-punk bands. The group inherited what came before them with a fresh twist, separating them from their contemporaries and the punk legends of the time, including The Ramones and The Clash. That twist was lead singer Robert Smith, whose soft and stylish voice on songs about love and heartache made the band a hit. Was it romantic synth-goth? Goth-pop? No. It was The Cure.

Now, with their first album in 16 years on the horizon, fans new and old will have the opportunity to witness a one-of-a-kind act reinvent themselves once again.

From 1979 to 2008, The Cure released music as frequently as any top band, consistently producing phenomenal albums, each building upon the sound of its predecessor. Their third album, "Pornography," was a particular standout that cemented the band in full-on goth rock.

During the tour following the project, the band let their hair fly, black eyeliner obscuring their eyes and lipstick smeared from cheek to cheek. Though their shift is revered today, at the time, it received an underwhelming reception from fans.

The goth scene wasn't for everyone, and what could have ruined the band only added to their developing aura. After the tour, the band kept their new look but turned their attention toward mainstream success. The peak of the band's success came toward the late 80s and into the early 90s with albums "Disintegration" and "Wish." The band toured heavily during these years, surviving the departure of original member Lol Tolhurst in 1989, which stemmed from creative differences. It was easy for Tolhurst's departure to be forgotten thanks to the success of "Disintegration" and the group's first on-air U.S. performance. Their status was further proven by "Disintegration" charting at number 12 in the U.S., the band's highest to date. After the release of "Wish," the band stopped releasing albums as frequently and began touring every few years.

The Cure most recently released "4:13 Dream" in 2008, and although there has been a long break in the music they've put out, the band has consistently played live shows. Their 2023 arena tour, specifically their performance in New York City at Madison Square Garden, was a sight to behold.

Of all the bands to make a comeback in the past few years, The Cure's return with their new studio album, "Songs Of A Lost World," may be the least surprising.

"Songs Of A Lost World" is set to release on November 1 after being teased throughout the past few years. It'll be interesting to see how the project compares to their prior work — based on the lead single "Alone," there will be dark themes, something to be expected with the band.

On the track, after three and a half minutes of an eerie and spacey instrumental, Robert Smith breaks the silence of the past 16 years by singing, "This is the end of every song that we sing."

The bitter lyric follows an instrumental that becomes redundant by the third minute, but, lengthy instrumentation is nothing new to The Cure. It calls back to a fan-favorite album of theirs, "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me," which is heavily instrumental-driven. The opening to the song is robust and fit for the climax of an action movie.

Here, Smith's cadence and delivery are well-spoken, soft and nothing like the energy he brings to songs like "Boys Don't Cry."

With a run-time of six minutes, "Alone" gives a glimpse of what's to come with "Songs Of A Lost World" and how The Cure will not be plagued by age or long-running disputes like many bands of the time.