Pumpkin spice up your plate: Try these fall twists on classic dishes

Carve out some new fall specialities by trying some of these pumpkin-flavored foods. – Photo by Olga Lioncat / Pexels

Fall has finally arrived, which calls for the seasonal pumpkin-flavored treats we've been waiting for all year.

Below are some pumpkin foods, treats, drinks and recipes you should try this autumn.

Breakfast

If you're a pumpkin lover, fall is the best time to put a twist on some of your morning favorites. 

If you love something sweet in the morning, various brands and retail outlets like Walmart have come out with pumpkin spice-flavored cereals and pumpkin waffles or pancakes, a perfect way to spice up your classic everyday breakfast.

If you're one of these people who prioritize starting off the day with protein, consider grabbing some pumpkin Greek yogurt or pumpkin overnight oats from Trader Joe's. These choices are quick and easy for an on-the-go, affordable breakfast while also getting in the fall spirit. 

Some other classic breakfast items with a pumpkin twist include pumpkin bagels and cream cheese, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin muffins and more! 

Lunch and dinner

When you think of pumpkin foods, snacks might be the first thing to come to mind, but there's also an array of delicious and savory pumpkin-flavored dishes you can make this season. 

Pumpkin ravioli is a fall delicacy you can make from scratch or buy premade. There are plenty of dinner Pumpkin Ravioli recipes, including this quick 20-minute recipe. If you're not much of a cook, Trader Joe's sells cheap, premade Honey Roasted Pumpkin Ravioli that takes just minutes to prepare.

Another fitting meal for the fall is the Panera Bread Autumn Squash Soup, a comforting meal with hints of pumpkin — it's even gluten-free. Pair this soup with your favorite grilled cheese sandwich, and you have the perfect lunch or dinner for a chilly autumn day or night!

Treats

Sweet pumpkin treats are undoubtedly the best part about fall. There are so many classic desserts out there, including pumpkin pie, which is a cherished food in many families.

But, one of the more underrated courses is pumpkin ice cream. With the weather getting colder, eating frozen foods this time of year may not seem natural, but it's worth a shot, especially this Pumpkin Cheesecake ice cream from Target.

If you're looking for something a little saltier, you have to try Pumpkin Spice popcorn, but beware, it's pretty addicting!

Lesser Evil Pumpkin Spice Popcorn is made with ingredients like organic extra virgin coconut oil, organic brown rice syrup, organic pumpkin spice seasoning and Himalayan salt, making it a healthier option. 

Taking a walk around any grocery store in October or November, you can be sure to find some other classic alternatives, like pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cake and more! 

Drinks

As we know, pumpkin coffee is all the rave in the fall, but there is no need to pay more than six dollars every morning. 

A great way to save money and still have a refreshing brew in the morning at home is by purchasing some pumpkin K-cups and pumpkin creamer for the house. This way, you can curate your own pumpkin cup of joe and get caffeinated for the day.

Brands like Dunkin' and Starbucks sell their own pumpkin K-cups and creamers so that you can make your order at your lesiure. Chobani's pumpkin spice creamer is another popular choice that can elevate any morning coffee this fall.

If you're not a coffee enthusiast but still want something easy, you can make your own pumpkin spice hot cocoa at home by following a recipe like this one or buying a premade hot cocoa mix like this one from Swiss Miss.

Stores like Trader Joe's, Walmart, Target, Whole Foods and more are great options for you to do some of your fall grocery shopping and stock up on your fall favorites.