Livingston Theatre Company members hit their marks for another spectacular season

Owen Butler, a Rutgers Business School junior, and Sam Tunkel, a Mason Gross School of the Arts sophomore, are Livingston Theatre Company success stories. – Photo by Franky Tan and Justin Jajalla

Performing on stage forces an actor to embody someone else. But, for a Rutgers student learning where they belong in the world, getting involved with a campus theater collective has also allowed them to learn about themselves.

For Owen Butler, a Rutgers Business School junior, and Sam Tunkel, a Mason Gross School of the Arts sophomore, their passion for musical theater began before college. When looking for a new home and a place to elevate their craft, the Livingston Theatre Company (LTC) took them in.

The LTC is Rutgers' premiere musical theater organization, founded in 1998. The LTC is entirely student-run and puts on three musicals a year. Most recently, they brought "Beauty and the Beast" to life in the Spring 2024 semester, while this November, they'll perform "Something Rotten!". The organization draws students from all across Rutgers, whether they are studying music, business or engineering. 

While initially drawn to LTC by their favorite shows, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" for Butler, and "Rent" for Tunkel, it was the sense of community that kept them with the troupe.

"The people. The community. Easily," said Tunkel. "I think that's what makes theater what it is."

The routine of practices and rehearsals also opened doors for members to build deeper connections with their fellow cast and crew members.

"I've met probably some of my best friends in college at LTC because you spend a ton of time together, and (though) you have different senses of humor, you all have one thing in common," added Butler. "It's just a fun time. You get along really quickly."

In addition to forming strong friendships, there's the valuable opportunity to learn from others. In this unique environment, where everyone has a specific role to play, as Tunkel explained, there's much to be gained from each person's perspective and experience.

"It's just a bunch of people who can get together and be super imaginative, and we're all easily able to unlock that childlike imagination in us, and that really brings us all together every single day," he said.

The fast pace of staging a production and the pressure of preparing a show unifies everyone involved in a way that few organizations on campus can. One person can't do the job on their own — it requires members to learn to rely on one another. If you're feeling down or stressed, you need to feel comfortable opening up to those around you.

Tunkel specifically talked about the importance of the intimate moments before each show, standing in a circle with the cast and crew, that made him feel more connected to the people around him and brought him back to his high school theater, the place he fell in love with the art form.

"In those moments, it made me realize that I have another home now. Home doesn't have to just be one place," he said. "It goes with you. Your footprint goes with you."

Many actors are drawn to theater for the chance to perform on a fully lit stage in front of a lively crowd. But, bringing a show from inception to completion requires filling several other important roles.

While Butler has performed in numerous shows with the LTC, including the titular character in "Pippin," he has also enjoyed his time behind the scenes. He was assistant director for "Beauty and the Beast," which became the highest-grossing musical that the LTC had ever put on. The performance of this show was a particularly proud moment for Butler, as families filled the crowd and little girls arrived in Belle dresses, eager to see a favorite story come to life.

The audience reaction to productions like "Beauty and The Beast" underscores a profound belief for Butler and Tunkel: Rutgers needs a creative outlet, such as LTC, on campus for students and staff.

"The arts in general is strongly underfunded, especially in schools, but also it's underappreciated with how much it has an impact on people," said Tunkel. "I think people go a long time without realizing the full potential of what (impact) works of art can have on them."

Theater not only helps students develop their hobbies, but it also provides many tangible skills, such as public speaking, or even just a therapeutic escape from other stresses, as Butler noted.

"The arts are a great experience if you want to let out emotions that you don't feel like talking about to other people," said Butler. "It helps you become a better person, I think ... I mean, a ton of people have done theater, even if it was just like one year. So, just to know that it's an option I think will get a lot of people excited."