Grab slice of New Brunswick through these treasured pizzerias

Krispy Pizza, located on the College Avenue campus, is one of the standout offerings in New Brunswick. – Photo by @rukrispy / Instagram

October is National Pizza Month, and what better way to celebrate than by exploring the best slices New Brunswick has to offer? This bustling college town, right in the heart of Rutgers, is a true hub for pizza lovers. 

Passionate locals and students alike love to debate which pizzeria reigns supreme, and honestly, it's all part of the fun. With New Jersey's rich pizza heritage, combining traditional Italian roots and innovative flavor combinations, there's something for everyone. 

Even Dave Portnoy, during a One Bite Pizza Review, said of a local spot, "My expectations always go down on college campuses. But a New Jersey state school where Jersey and pizza are kind of, you know, hand-in-hand, this is a little more elevated, a little more sophisticated."

With that in mind, here's The Daily Targum's guide to the best pizzerias on the banks that exceed typical campus pizza expectations.

Daniel's Pizzeria 

With not one, but two, locations in New Brunswick, on Easton Ave and Hamilton Street, trying a slice from Daniel's Pizzeria is at the top of every RUcket List. Known for its generous portions and affordability, Daniel's delivers quality pizza, and friendships, that keep customers coming back. Their menu boasts a variety of options, but the Fat Daniel is a unique must-try. 

This slice features freshly battered and breaded chicken breast, mozzarella sticks and French fries, all piled high on a bed of fresh mozzarella and topped with their famous vodka sauce. Served on a New York-style crust, it's a hearty, indulgent option that's perfect after a late night on Easton Ave. 

Krispy Pizza

Krispy Pizza has been family-owned and operated for more than 50 years, solidifying its place as a beloved spot at The Yard @ College Avenue among Rutgers students and locals alike. Known for its fast service and innovative slices, Krispy Pizza offers a variety of options that cater to all taste preferences. 

One standout on the menu is the Spicy Honey Vodka Roni. This slice features vodka sauce, cupped pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, crushed red pepper and a drizzle of hot honey, balancing the perfect blend of spicy, savory and sweet flavors. Their crispy, thin-crust pizzas are a crowd favorite, but their New York-style and deep-dish crusts are right up there with them.

Artichoke Basille's Pizza

Founded by fourth-generation pizza-makers, Artichoke Basille's Pizza on Easton Ave is one of multiple successful locations nationwide. Since launching their first store in 2008, cousins and best friends Francis Garcia and Sal Basille have been featured on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," "Late Night with Seth Meyers" as well as numerous other food blogs, websites and publications.

"The Artichoke" is a classic yet notable slice, packed with spinach cream sauce, mozzarella, pecorino and artichoke hearts, delivering a deliciously indulgent twist on traditional flavors. In addition to the Artichoke Slice, the rest of the menu features innovative concoctions like Crab and Meatball slices.

Giovanneli's Pizza & Grill 

Giovanneli's Pizza & Grill is another gem in New Brunswick, celebrated for its authentic pies — the establishment takes pride in using high-quality ingredients. The Margherita slice is a highlight, featuring a perfectly crispy crust topped with fresh mozzarella and basil.

Beyond pizza, Giovanneli's offers a variety of Italian dishes, making it a perfect spot for students in the mood for a quick bite or something a little different. Regardless, Giovanneli's has you covered. 

While at Rutgers, every month feels like National Pizza Month, so be sure to prioritize these local businesses this October. Each pizzeria offers its own unique twist on the classic plain slice, combining fresh ingredients, inventive toppings and distinct flavors that make them must-visit spots for pizza lovers. 

From the iconic Fat Daniel at Daniel's Pizzeria to the Spicy Honey Vodka Roni at Krispy Pizza, these slices aren't just meals — they're experiences that highlight the sophistication and elevation of food culture at Rutgers, setting it apart from other college campuses nationwide.