From Pine Barrens to Flanders Hotel: Uncover New Jersey's spookiest sites this Halloween

If you're looking for something to do this Halloween in New Jersey, try checking into The Flanders Hotel in Ocean City. – Photo by @oldroadside / X.com

While New Jersey is known for its beaches and diners, the Garden State is also home to its fair share of spooky sites. Through a combination of history, urban legend and word of mouth, some spots have gained recognition as eerie landmarks, incorporating themselves into the state's folklore.

With Halloween right around the corner, The Daily Targum has compiled a list of New Jersey's spine-chilling and scariest destinations, perfect for those seeking an adventure.

The Flanders Hotel

Located on 11th Street in Ocean City, The Flanders Hotel has housed seaside visitors for the past century. Opened in 1923, the hotel has gained notoriety across New Jersey for its resident ghost, Emily. Said to have been the girlfriend of a fallen World War I soldier, Emily is known for her trademark white dress, hence her unofficial name, "Lady in White."

Though guests have seen Emily roam the halls of the Flanders for years, most accounts of her presence are non-threatening, with stories ranging from seeing doors swing open to glimpses of a white gown pass through the halls. 

Despite her mischievous spirit, Emily has attracted guests to the Flanders for years. A trip to the hotel is incomplete without an encounter with the Lady in White. 

Pine Barrens (The Jersey Devil)

Aside from Bruce Springsteen or Frank Sinatra, New Jersey's most famous resident may be the Jersey Devil. Legend has it that in 1735, Mother Leeds, disappointed and in pain while delivering her 13th child, cried out that she wanted her baby to be born the devil.

That night, her baby supposedly sprouted wings and hooves and flew out her chimney into the nearby Pine Barrens, where the Jersey Devil still resides today. 

Since that night in 1735, countless reports and sightings of malevolent behavior have been documented in the Pine Barrens, all much more sinister than that of Emily at the Flanders. The entire area is said to be haunted as a result. 

One of the most famous Jersey Devil sightings came in 1909 when Navy commander Stephen Decatur and nearly a thousand other New Jersey locals reportedly saw the creature while testing cannon balls at Hanover Mills Works. 

Taken aback by the entity, Decatur fired a cannonball at the Devil, striking it through the chest. Unfazed, the denizen took to the sky, vanishing back into the woods. 

Tales like the previous one have only increased in the past 250 years, as the Jersey Devil continues to be an enduring and haunting figure in the minds of state residents. 

The Blue Hole

While both other haunted destinations on this list have been ominous since their inception, the Blue Hole once had a reputation as a local favorite hangout spot. Residing on the edge of the Pine Barrens in Winslow Township, the lake was once used as a picturesque picnic spot for families in the 1930s.

But when a storm in the 1940s took out the bridge that allowed for public access to the lake, it quickly evolved into the decrepit and foreboding location it is known as today. 

Over time, stories began to spread of the occurrences that would take place at the Blue Hole, like whirlpools forming inexplicably and claiming the lives of swimmers or most famously, that it was a favorite stomping ground of the Jersey Devil.

The main discussion point surrounding the Blue Hole is its depth, as it's said that no one knows how deep the lake is, or even if there is a bottom to begin with. 

Regardless of whether the Blue Hole's more mysterious tales are true, it's still proven to be a dangerous place, with various swimmers falling victim to the strong current over the years. 

There are countless other haunted locations throughout New Jersey, like the Carranza Memorial, Gabreil Daveis Tavern and many more. Whether you head to Ocean City or the Pine Barrens, why not take a trip this Halloween season to see how scary these places really are?