'It Ends With Us' tackles heavy themes, strays from original story

Disregarding behind-the-scenes drama between Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni or alterations to the source material, "It Ends With Us" is a moving drama. – Photo by @itendswithusmovie / Instagram

In the endless onslaught of celebrity gossip, it's undeniable that Blake Lively has had her fair share of the spotlight. With the recent backlash surrounding an old interview resurfacing, the iconic "Gossip Girl" actress was once again in the hot seat. But it's her most recent project, "It Ends With Us," that's been garnering the most attention and mixed reviews.

Based on the popular book of the same name by romance writer Colleen Hoover, the movie follows the story of Lily Bloom (Lively), as she moves to Boston to open a flower shop for people who hate flowers. Coming from a family with a history of domestic violence, the plot explores how she copes with trauma and abuse.

Additionally, there's a central love triangle, as Lily has to choose between her first love, Atlas Corrigan (Brandon Sklenar), and Ryle Kincaid (Justin Baldoni), an older neurosurgeon she meets in Boston. 

Lily first sees Ryle on a rooftop, and they continue to cross paths over time, gradually building a relationship and bonding over their troubled pasts. They eventually marry, but Ryle's own faults and violent tendencies come to light during their relationship.

One of the main conflicts arrives as Lily becomes pregnant and debates whether she should leave or stay with Ryle, while also navigating her feelings for Atlas. The general premise is similar to the book, but like most film adaptations, it does needlessly stray from the original story.

The movie rushes through some key character development points, notably a meaningful conversation between Lily and her mom (Amy Morton) about abuse and the former's relationship with Ryle. Without these moments, characters who used to play central roles in Lily's growth lack any presence in the film, making her conflict less complex. 

The same applies to Atlas as well, who was given a detailed backstory in the book, including his connection to Lily and the successful opening of his own restaurant. Atlas was a key character in helping Lily escape her cycle of abuse, and the movie could have emphasized his importance as her first love. Instead, he almost becomes a side character, as the film prioritizes Lily's connection to Ryle instead.

Another omission made by the movie is Lily's love of Ellen DeGeneres and the many fan letters she wrote to the talk show host. While this is a minor detail, it was one of the aspects that made her character stand out, for better or worse. 

But the movie itself did a fair job of handling more sensitive scenes, particularly the ones where Ryle harms or gaslights Lily, drawing attention to the cyclical nature of abuse. Here, the film touches on themes of generational trauma and toxic patterns, as Lily is also reeling from her father's (Kevin McKidd) abuse of her mother and struggling to keep her promise to never become like them.

Another well-executed choice is the movie's rendition of Ryle as a nuanced, storied character. He isn't just a one-dimensional abuser — he's also given a full backstory which helps the audience understand why Lily is so conflicted about leaving him and why she tries to excuse his actions. It makes her inner struggle feel real and vivid as she contends who Ryle actually is. 

Baldoni's performance brings Ryle to life, making scenes of tension and violence feel real and daunting. Also serving as director, Baldoni handles every scene with tact and employs the decision to have the film narrated through Lily.

Initially, the abuse can seem unclear, with incidents being portrayed as accidental or blurry. But as Lily reflects on these instances later on, the audience sees the signs and is given the opportunity to consider why domestic violence is often unfairly ignored or made to be less than what it is.

Dealing with heavy topics is never an easy task for movies, and the filmmakers will inevitably make some missteps. There were definitely moments where the acting seemed inauthentic, and the soundtrack's use of popular music seemed to take the audience out of scenes.

Still, the emphasis on cyclical abuse and toxic relationships was well-handled, particularly through its characters. As the audience witnesses Ryle's own trauma manifest into his anger and emotional volatility, they also uncover some of Lily's childhood upheaval.

Despite the changes to the book, Hoover fans should still find the film appealing. Regardless, viewers should brace themselves to view disturbing subject matter and violence, deciding if it's something they want to engage with before buying a ticket.