Inside Eats: Score big with these Super Bowl party appetizers

Air-fried chicken wings are a must-have for any college Super Bowl party gathering. – Photo by @allthehealthythings / Instagram

The Super Bowl can mean different things to different people. Depending on who you are, it can be about the multi-million dollar beer ads, the Super Bowl squares or even the Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce romance. 

But if there's one thing college kids can agree upon, the Super Bowl means greasy, mouthwatering food.

These irresistible appetizers will impress and hold over guests until Usher's halftime performance. From sizzling wings to cheesy loaded potato bites, here's how Rutgers students can elevate their game day spread with an exciting roster of appetizers.

Air-fried chicken wings 

With minimal prep time and maximum flavor, air-fried chicken wings are the ultimate game-day snack that'll have everyone coming back for more. So fire up the air fryer and enjoy some crispy, juicy wings!

Ingredients: 

• 2 pounds frozen chicken wings 

• 1 tablespoon oil

• 1 teaspoon garlic powder

• 1 teaspoon onion powder

• 1 teaspoon paprika 

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon pepper 

Optional: 

• Buffalo, barbecue, teriyaki or your favorite wing sauce to dip or toss with wings 

• Ranch or blue cheese dressing to dip with wings

• Celery or carrot sticks to dip in ranch or blue cheese dressing

• An air fryer can be easily substituted for an oven! 

Instructions:

1. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

2. Place the frozen wings in the basket of the air fryer. Cook for 9 to 10 minutes until the chicken is defrosted. 

3. Remove the chicken wings and place them in a large bowl. Drain any grease that accumulated in the air fryer basket. 

4. Add dry spices to a small bowl. Mix to combine. 

5. Add spices to the chicken wings and toss until the wings are coated. 

6. Place the wings back into the basket of the air fryer. Cook for 12 minutes, shaking them halfway through. 

7. Serve with wing sauce, dressing or vegetables of choice. 

Spicy buffalo chicken dip 

This spicy buffalo chicken dip is packed with flavor and sure to become a staple at your Super Bowl gatherings. So, grab some chips, crackers or veggie sticks and dive right into this irresistible treat!

Ingredients: 

• 2 cups shredded cooked chicken

• 8 ounces softened cream cheese

• 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce 

• 1 cup grated cheddar cheese 

• 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese 

• Tortilla chips, crackers, celery or carrot sticks

Instructions: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

2. Combine shredded chicken, cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce and 1/2 cup of each grated cheese in a large bowl. 

3. Turn the mixture in a prepared baking dish, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of each grated cheese. 

4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned or bubbling. 

5. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, celery or carrot sticks to dip. 

Cheesy loaded potato bites

Crispy, cheesy and bursting with flavor, these tasty bites are more than just a simple snack — they're a culinary touchdown. Whether huddled around a TV in a cramped room or lounging in a communal space with friends, these loaded potato skins will be the MVP of any Super Bowl spread.

Ingredients: 

• 6 small baking potatoes, washed

• 2 tablespoons melted butter

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

• 3 to 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled 

• 1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Optional: 

• Chopped parsley, green onion and sour cream for serving 

Instructions: 

1. Preheat the oven (or air fryer) to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Pierce washed small baking potatoes with a fork. 

3. Place potatoes on a baking sheet or in the air fryer basket. Cook for 45 minutes or until tender. 

4. Let potatoes cool, then cut in half and scoop out a portion of the middle. Place potato shells onto a baking dish or in the air fryer basket.

5. Mix butter, salt and garlic in a bowl. Brush the inside of the potato skins with the mixture. 

6. Bake the potatoes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway through or until crisp. 

7. Flip the potatoes over and fill with bacon and cheese. 

8. Bake the filled potatoes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. 

9. Top with chopped parsley, green onion and sour cream if desired. Serve immediately. 

Whether you're rooting for the San Francisco 49ers or Taylor Swift's boyfriend, these recipes are guaranteed winners for Rutgers students. So, regardless of the final score, relish the success of these game-day appetizers.