Resources at Rutgers to help navigate college

Transitioning to your new college lifestyle may be intimidating and challenging, but there are resources that might be able to help you along the way.  – Photo by The Daily Targum

The University offers a wide range of services designed to help students navigate the various obstacles they may encounter during their college career. Although most students will not be on campus this semester, most administrative offices and organizations are still available for you to utilize. While this list is not exhaustive, reaching out to one of the organizations listed below might point you in the right direction to address the challenges you may be facing. 

Mental health

Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program & Psychiatric Services (CAPS) - This service is the main mental health service available for all students at Rutgers. As the name suggests, CAPS can help students facing a variety of mental health challenges and offers individual therapy, group therapy (which may be impacted by remote learning), help for substance abuse and psychiatric care. Crisis intervention services are available 24/7 for emergencies, such as suicidal thoughts, overwhelming loss or sexual assault. 

• Contact: 848-932-7884 

Rutgers Behavioral Healthcare Student Wellness Program - This service is also free to all students and offers services such as counseling, short-term family/couples counseling, crisis intervention, assessment and referral for substance abuse treatment and workshops on mental health. 

• Contact: 800-969-5300

Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology (GSAPP) - The GSAPP is offering services for all Rutgers students experiencing mental health challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The service is run by volunteers offering short-term counseling or referral services. Students can request support through their website, but services depend on the availability of volunteers. 

• Contact: 848-445-2000 

Sexual Assault / Domestic Violence

Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (VPVA) - This service is available for free to all Rutgers students. Students who have experienced sexual assault, sexual harassment, domestic violence or stalking, as well as those who know someone affected by these issues, can discuss the situation confidentially with a VPVA representative 24/7. VPVA offers crisis intervention, individual or group therapy, assistance with medical and legal processes, and help navigating University affairs like Academic Affairs and Residence Life. 

• Contact: 848-932-1181

Rutgers End Sexual Violence campaign - This website offers detailed information for survivors of sexual assault, including Title IX and other University policies, the different confidential and non-confidential resources available, how to seek medical attention, how to preserve evidence and details about the process of reporting an incident to law enforcement. Students with further questions regarding the topics on the campaign’s website should contact VPVA. 

Office of Student Affairs Compliance (OSAC) and Title IX - For any member of the University seeking to report sexual harassment, gender-based harassment, sexual intimidation, sexual exploitation, sexual assault and non-consensual sexual contact, relationship violence, stalking and retaliation on campus. Students can find copies of official University policies, information on how the reporting process works, potential outcomes of filing a report, and statistics on how often reports result in charges of policy violations. Those who wish to file a report can do so online or over the phone. 

• Contact: (848) 932-8200

External resources for survivors seeking confidential support, counseling, medical and legal advocacy, or other resources include:

Cultural Centers - Each cultural center oversees a variety of aspects and services for members to connect with their communities, including student organizations, academic programs, community service initiatives, leadership opportunities and Living-Learning Communities.

Other Services

Rutgers Food Pantry - Available to all Rutgers students. Due to COVID-19, the pantry is operating out of the Graduate Student Lounge on the College Avenue campus as well as a mobile pantry, both of which run on a limited schedule. Students are required to set up an appointment and bring their RUID. Visit the pantry’s Facebook for updates. 

Dean of Students - This office aims to solve a variety of problems students face while at the University, including critical incidents, bias incidents, violations of the Student Code of Conduct, temporary conditions (injuries that affect classwork, absences due to illness or personal reasons, etc.), information and support for international or undocumented students, lack of access to learning supplies and other similar issues. For example, the Dean of Students provides laptops to students demonstrating lack of access to technology for remote learning.

• Contact: 848-932-2300

Office of the Ombudsperson for Students -  Impartial, confidential assistance for students who have exhausted all other methods for resolving issues with the University. 

Office of Disability Services - Helps develop accommodations for students with disabilities, including adjustments for note-taking, exams and remote learning. 

Office of Veteran and Military Programs and Services - Services and programs to help veterans transition into college and navigate various obstacles, including disabilities or mental health challenges. 

• Contact:  848-932-8387

Rutgers Global - International Student and Scholar Services - Offers various services, including academic advising, assistance with finding employment / housing, travel information and legal information for international students.