'We're getting closer': Rutgers women's basketball media day takeaways ahead of 2024-2025 season

Head coach Coquese Washington is entering her third year with the Rutgers women's basketball team. – Photo by Cos Lymperopoulos / scarletknights.com

The Rutgers women's basketball team is set to kick off the 2024-2025 season this Sunday. With a new season comes new goals and some new faces for the Scarlet Knights and third-year head coach Coquese Washington. Rutgers will look to improve upon an 8-24 overall record and a 2-16 conference record last season.

"I want us to continue to push the needle on the offensive end and playing at the pace we want to play at," Washington said. "I don't think in year one or year two we were ever quite there, but we're getting closer."

Here are three takeaways from the Knights women's basketball media day.

Depth is key

Having a full roster of 12 players is an uplifting sight for players, coaches and fans this season. Last season, Rutgers had an opening-day roster of 11 players, which was seemingly never the true number of players available after injuries.

With the offseason additions of Boston College graduate transfer forward JoJo Lacey, Kentucky transfer sophomore forward Janae Walker, freshman forward Zachara Perkins and freshman guard Kiyomi McMiller, the Knights hope to have finally handled the depth issue that has plagued the team the past two seasons.

The addition of Walker and Perkins creates depth at the forward position for Rutgers, a luxury it did not have last year. Kassondra Brown was the only true forward on the roster, and graduate student center Chyna Cornwell filled in when necessary while also handling center duties.

"Well, I think it's great to have depth, period, but to have specifically that depth at that forward spot — it's going to give us a little bit of flexibility to play different ways, play different styles, play different lineups," Washington said.

The final addition to round out a full 12-player roster is junior guard Deja Young, who was announced as a walk-on one week ago.

A mix of new and returning players

Last season was a breakout year for senior guard and forward Destiny Adams, who was the only player to start in all 32 games for the Knights in 2023. Adams was the center of attention on offense for Rutgers and her presence was felt on both ends of the court. Leading the team in points, rebounds and steals, Adams played a leadership role for the Knights.

This year, Adams and the Rutgers offense add a spark that was often missing last season. That spark comes from McMiller's exceptional ball handling and offensive facilitating abilities. In her final two high school seasons, McMiller averaged 30.1 points per game and was ranked the No. 22 recruit in the 2024 recruiting class by ESPNW.

In her first season with the Knights, McMiller will likely be the main ball handler, opening up many scoring opportunities for her teammates on offense.

"(McMiller) definitely has had an impact in our gym. She's helped elevate the competitiveness in our gym. Her speed, her skill, her on-court ability (have) definitely added a lot to our gym," Washington said. "She's just one of those talents that if you have the benefit and the blessing to play with that type of a player, it just impacts everything that you do from a basketball standpoint."

Congruence will be crucial

Coming into this season, Rutgers is returning 7 of its 11 players from last year's roster. Playing together and meshing well as a team is vital for any team to succeed, and the same is true for the Knights.

Leadership from players like Adams and Cornwell has created a sense of family among the team, allowing for a smooth transition for incoming players this offseason.

"You talk about two players who really, really embrace the notion of camaraderie and chemistry and sisterhood and having a bond. For Chyna, for Destiny, those elements of team play are at the top of the chart for them," Washington said. "They've had the experience the longest of why that is so important and how that impacts team success."

Rutgers will look to start the new season on the right foot with a win against Caldwell in an exhibition game at Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus on Sunday. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Nicholas Hart's work, follow @nhart03 on X.