Promising 1st half performance from Rutgers men's soccer erased in loss to No. 19 UCLA

Freshman forward Matty Lynch made his first career start against UCLA on Friday night. – Photo by Hamza Azeem

A promising first half from the Rutgers men’s soccer team was proven futile after a 3-goal second-half performance from UCLA. The Scarlet Knights (4-8-2, 1-5-1) were shut out by the Bruins (6-3-4, 3-2-2), suffering their third straight defeat.

Unexpectedly, Rutgers came out of the gates the better team, having more of the ball and controlling the tempo. 

Making his first career start, freshman forward Matty Lynch intercepted an errant pass from a No. 19 UCLA defender and almost had a breakaway but was tackled. The challenge was reviewed for a potential penalty, but the call on the field stood, and play resumed.

In the 9th minute, the Knights had two shots in short succession, with Bruins goalkeeper Wyatt Nelson denying graduate student forward Ola Maeland and sophomore defender Nick Collins.

Rutgers continued to dominate possession and played stout defense to keep UCLA shotless until the 35th minute when Jose Contell shot the ball low into junior goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton’s hands. 

The game remained scoreless at the break, but the Knights were the clear-cut better team. 

Rutgers picked up where it left off right before halftime, with freshman defender Scott Godden crossing the ball to the edge of the box to Maeland, who flicked it down to senior midfielder Curt Calov. Blasting his shot first time, Calov’s effort was saved by a diving Nelson.

Despite being outplayed for most of the game, the Bruins struck first in the 56th minute. Assisted by a cross from Philip Naef, Andre Ochoa headed home his 1st goal of the season. 

Now down 1 goal, the Knights pushed for the equalizer. Collins had a headed attempt saved by Nelson, and Calov attempted a bicycle kick, but the shot went high over the crossbar. 

UCLA put the game to bed with 2 more goals in 3 minutes. Contell converted a penalty kick, and Nicholas Cavallo impressively scored his 1st career goal. Marquette transfer Edrey Caceres played a through ball to Cavallo, who blasted the ball so hard it hit the net and bounced back out of the goal. 

That 3rd goal silenced the crowd at Yurcak Field on Busch campus, and Rutgers lost all its energy. 

The Knights will next travel to Seattle for a Friday night clash with Washington. The game will kick off at 10 p.m. and broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @MatthewMangam on X.