TANG: Transferring colleges can be worth it

Students should recognize the benefits that can come with transferring universities.  – Photo by Anushka Dhariwal

As a senior in high school, the excitement of graduating is accompanied by the difficult decision of where to spend your next four years. The pressure to choose the right path that aligns with your personal goals, interests and values is overwhelming.

It is normal to worry about whether you made the "right" choice. Although many students do find the right fit the first time, others may feel out of place and realize that transferring schools is the best option.

College students should not be afraid of transferring. It promotes personal growth, strengthens social connections and is beneficial academically. Although there are many reasons students transfer — financial, social or academic — it is important to remember that staying in an environment that feels out of place can slow down growth. Instead of feeling like transferring is a burden, students should be encouraged to seek somewhere that aligns with their passions and goals.

Transferring colleges promotes personal growth by forcing students to deal with challenges and broaden their perspectives. Facing an unfamiliar academic environment builds resilience and problem-solving skills, while exposure to diverse cultures fosters empathy and understanding.

The "Journal of College Student Retention: Research Theory & Practice" found that students come from diverse academic and social backgrounds. Some students may transfer from a two- or four-year college, carrying different academic successes and challenges that shape their goals or outlooks. Some nontraditional students may face academic challenges due to external obligations like work or family responsibilities.

Understanding diverse backgrounds and challenges enriches experiences. Being a student who works alongside hard-working individuals can also shift one's perspective on one's academic and personal life, which can be motivational and teach empathy and gratitude.

Transferring offers students a fresh start. Students are exposed to new people, leading to friendships and networks. Also, meeting others who are also adjusting to a new environment creates a bond.

Friendships are critical for students at colleges. As a transfer student, it was hard to find my place and people at such a large school. I kind of felt like I wanted to go back to my previous school. It was somewhat of a lonely process at first.

But once I started talking to more people in my classes and pushed myself to attend extracurricular activities and events, the school became less intimidating and less isolated. Being surrounded by other transfer students, who understood how I felt throughout the process, was comforting and helped with the transition. Having connections with peers not only makes the college experience more memorable but also fuels academic success.

Choosing the right transfer school can have a positive impact on a student's happiness and academic performance. A study published in the "Social Psychology of Education" journal concluded that when students find themselves in an environment that better aligns with their needs and goals, it can lead to increased enjoyment, which in turn can boost motivation and focus. This shift in mindset often translates into higher GPAs, as a positive experience in the right school setting can enhance both personal satisfaction and academic success.

Friends often study together and share notes. Having a more expansive environment and building a network of peers who provide emotional and academic support helps students navigate challenges and increases motivation.

The sense of belonging makes students feel valued and integrated into campus spaces. When students feel more connected to the community, they are more likely to reach out for help and participate in campus events.

According to University World News, 69 percent of those who felt a strong sense of community were slightly less likely to be stressed weekly compared to those without it, meaning that a positive perception of a school can motivate students to be more actively engaged in their studies.

By actively seeking a supportive and engaging community, students can not only have a more enjoyable college experience but also set themselves up for success in the future. Embracing the opportunity to transfer leads to development in all aspects of one's life. Transferring should be seen as a step forward rather than a burden.

Kelly Tang is a junior in the Rutgers Business School majoring in Finance and Supply Chain Management. Tang’s column, “Don’t Get Me Started,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

*Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.