So, when exactly is 'Halloweekend'? Inside Beat weighs in

Don't dig your grave by picking the wrong weekend to celebrate Halloween — join The Daily Targum as we deliberate the ideal "Halloweekend." – Photo by Toni Cuenca / Pexels.com

For as long as the idea of throwing parties for Halloween has existed in the American consciousness, so too has a battle raged in the culture — when and what on earth is "Halloweekend," anyway? In some years, it's as simple as Halloween coinciding with a weekend, leading to a multi-day celebration.

But the calendar is not always so magnanimous, and this year is no exception. Halloween 2024 not only falls right in the thick of midterms but also on a Thursday. For those celebrating the holiday, they're left with two options: observe it a week earlier or wait until it's passed.

So, how does one choose? Here's where each side falls:

Option 1: October 26 to 27

Proponents of a pre-Halloween "Halloweekend" typically see an opportunity to extend the day into a full week. For those of a generally spookier temperament, this may be the way to go.

Be sure to carve your pumpkins ahead of the date, but if you're an early "Halloweekender," you've probably had decorations up since the beginning of September. For cinephiles of the horror and B-movie variety, October 26 is also a great start for a weeklong binge.

Additionally, for those looking to test drive their costumes or catch a show in the area, committing to an earlier "Halloweekend" is the operative choice.

Of course, for those most dedicated to the macabre and frightful, all weekends in October are "Halloweekend." Indeed, the moment summer concludes, the formerly defrosted goths, scorned by the August sun, return to their natural state at the first whiff of cool autumn air.

Though these patrons of the holiday make the spirit of Halloween a year-round commitment, commemorating the season a week early allows the opportunity to indulge in maximum ghoulishness.

Expect visits to historical haunted houses, witchy frolicking in the woods and a general uptick in New England and East Coast seasonal tourism — Sleepy Hollow and Salem find particular interest from this crowd. Not only have decorations been up for two months, but these more elaborate trips have also been in the works for weeks. For friends and loved ones, trust that you won't be hexed if you can't make it … most of the time.

Option 2: November 2 to 3

For the post-Halloween "Halloweekend" camp, there are really only two pieces of rationale.

Procrastinators trying to squeeze in just one Halloween party before the thick of November comes around can find some relief. These are the friends who, in lieu of a costume, spend Halloween with the people they think they can collect stray wardrobe pieces from. At the very least, these are typically the types which, with frugality in mind, will swing by Spirit Halloween before it shutters or gorge on wildly discounted bags of candy from a local supermarket.

The only other reason is, of course, that the post-Halloween "Halloweekend" is for the traditionalists. Yes, in the traditions of Samhain, it's a Celtic celebration that signals the beginning of winter.

In stark contrast to the procrastinators, keeping up with cycles of seasons and celestial movements is nothing to scoff at, and timing is key. Samhain is held from Halloween to the first of November, so for those in the mind to practice, convening with spirits and congregating around bonfires are the key points of the festivities.

Another point against post-Halloween "Halloweekend" is that the beginning of November marks a number of other festivities that take a sharp turn away from the horror-themed celebrations. This year, Día de Muertos and Diwali overlap. For those observing, getting on the Halloween train a little earlier is an added benefit.

The verdict

Regardless of your position, there's more than enough Halloween fun to go around, even if there's clearly one superior choice.

From those who dedicate their whole October to the celebration or those who swing by late in early November, they'll all be joined by one thing — a horrible stomachache from eating a bunch of cheap Halloween candy in the middle of the night. Oh, and being inexplicably covered in grease paint and glitter by the end of the night. Gross.