AGRAWAL: 'Kidulting': Benefits of play

Embracing play can have positive health benefits for adults.  – Photo by Estanislau Carvalho/Wikimedia Commons

I love to frolic sometimes. What is that, some of you may ask? The Merriam-Webster dictionary tells us frolicking means "to play and run about happily." Frolicking relates to the so-called "kidulting" retail trend that many adults have been caught indulging in.

Taking care of the "inner child" has been a growing discussion for some time now. Shari Botwin, author of "Thriving After Trauma: Stories of Living and Healing," says, "We grow up, we get bigger and our brains become more logical, but that doesn't erase our thoughts, feelings or memories from childhood."

Tapping into your "inner child" and revisiting your favorite childhood activities, or possibly engaging in new ones, is essentially what kidulting is all about. As psychiatrist Sonal Anand describes it, "(Kidulting is) about embracing the childlike joy, curiosity and playfulness that many adults might feel disconnected from due to the responsibilities of grown-up life."

According to Circana, adults have now become the most important age group for the toy industry, considering that 43 percent of adults purchased a toy for themselves in the past year, surpassing the expected range of 3- to 5-year-olds.

The longing to return to a childlike state as an adult comes from wanting a brief respite from the mundanity of everyday corporate life. Kids have a deep sense of wonder through which they see the world with fresh excitement. Adults who tap into this childlike view rediscover a real appreciation for the subtle marvels around them.

Play coaches are a thing now. They assist stressed individuals, mostly adults, in incorporating play into their hectic lives through training, consulting and coaching. Imagine paying for something so basic and natural, like play, which we once embraced effortlessly as children. It just shows how far we have drifted from the simple joys that are essential for our well-being.

As one might expect, partaking in activities associated with playfulness can have a significant positive impact on physical and mental health. The most obvious benefit of play comes from the kind that involves physical activity, strengthening your heart and lungs.

In a study about the relationship between playfulness and subjective well-being, adult playfulness demonstrated robust positive relations with life satisfaction and an inclination to an active way of life.

Play boosts productivity and enhances creativity at work. In their book, "Welcome to Your Child's Brain: How the Mind Grows from Conception to College," Sam Wang and Sandra Aamodt explain that play aids in effective problem-solving, not only in the workplace but also in personal life.

A study from the University of Illinois discovered that university students who were very playful — showing spontaneity, energy and a tendency to joke around — experienced lower stress levels and managed college anxieties more effectively.

At this point, you might be convinced about adding play to your life. But what does that look like as a busy college student at Rutgers? You do not need to be concerned about whether an activity counts as play if you approach it with a playful attitude and enjoy yourself.

That could be going to the Rutgers Zone on Livingston campus with your friends and playing a round of pool or Skee-Ball, playing pickleball at the Livingston Recreation Center or joining one of the 500 student organizations on campus solely to have fun.

In a 2018 study, researchers identified four types of playful adults: those who enjoy playful interactions with others, those who approach life with a carefree attitude, those who find pleasure in exploring ideas and concepts and those who delight in the quirky, unusual and absurd details of life.

Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, developed eight different play styles. Psychologist and mental health illustrator Lindsay Braman used these to create a quiz you can take to figure out what style of play will most effectively increase your resilience to burnout. My friends call me "The Competitor," but I like to think of myself as more of "The Explorer" — especially with my deep curiosity to discover every plant in the garden I might find myself frolicking through.

When you find yourself overwhelmed during the busiest points of the semester, juggling countless tasks, remember that life was never meant to be that serious. Of course, we should not embrace toxic positivity, but recognizing the need for balance is key. By allowing room for both hard work and moments of ease, you will find that every aspect of your life improves, creating a healthier and more fulfilling rhythm.

Now, take a deep breath, find your balance and remember — even the sun takes time to set.

Khushi Agrawal is a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in Cognitive Science and Information Technology and Informatics and minoring in Digital Communication, Information and Media. Agrawal's column, "Scarlet Perspectives," runs on alternate Mondays.

Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.