TANG: Mental health needs to be prioritized on college campuses

Colleges need to do more to help students deal with mental health issues. – Photo by Andrea Piacquadio/Pexels.com

College is portrayed as the years we gain new experiences, make memories and meet new people. While that may be true, it is also one of the most stressful experiences caused by anxiety and the pressures of balancing academic, social and personal responsibilities.

Rutgers offers many counseling services ranging from crisis intervention to drug assistance programs. Students may hesitate to utilize these services because they believe they can handle their struggles independently and that stress is normal. The study also mentions that confidentiality, time, past negative experiences, and a preference for family and friends' support are factors that contribute to not seeking professional help.

Another possibility could be that they did not know all the services that are accessible to them.

Healthy Minds Network reports in the 2021-2022 Winter/Spring Data Report that 44 percent of students reported symptoms of depression, 37 percent reported anxiety disorders and 15 percent reported having seriously considered suicide in the past year. Although through 2020-2022, 30 percent to 37 percent of students were seeking help, these were the highest recorded rates in the history of the 15-year-old survey.

This problem is seriously affecting academic performance. Emotional stress and mental health concerns caused 64 percent to consider dropping out. Many students fall into this emotional turmoil because there is so much going on with life beyond academics.

Candace Shivers, an associate professor of sociology at Mount Wachusett Community College, said, "When (students) have a lot of stuff going on, school becomes less of a priority … Often, they get overwhelmed and fall behind." As students, we are all guilty of skipping a class, whether to study or if we are not in the mood. For others, skipping class might allow them to work an extra shift or tend to family obligations, but this trade-off can result in falling behind in classes due to absence.

Academic stress is one of the main factors in college students' mental well-being. Stress can reduce motivation and hinder academic achievement, increasing college dropout rates. Students are more likely to burn out quicker if constantly stressed, producing poorer results and continuing this toxic cycle.

Ellucian surveyed 1,500 college students with various backgrounds, reporting that 59 percent of students considered dropping out due to financial stress. Reports show that 78 percent of students reported negative mental health impacts from financial stress, 61 percent said it harmed their academic performance and 57 percent had to choose between college expenses and basic needs.

Beyond financial and academic pressures to succeed, social isolation and the excessive use of technology play a role in adding to the mental health crisis. Research shows that the excessive use of social media contributes to increased loneliness and fear of missing out, as well as decreased well-being and life satisfaction.

It is important to note that while social media can be entertaining, there are reports of addiction, lower self-esteem and depressive symptoms. When you are stuck studying while your peers seem to be enjoying life, comparison can become your worst enemy. It makes you question your choices and feel like you are missing out. It is important to remember that there will always be more opportunities ahead, and you do not need to chase every single one.

Although colleges may offer "wellness weeks" or mini-distressing activities during finals week, it is not enough. Having these tents set up throughout campus should be more casual and frequent throughout the semester. I look forward to Midknight Breakfast during finals season, but mental health is something that needs to constantly be checked up on and maintained. And no one is accountable for doing so but yourself.

It is crucial to understand the value of reaching out for help. College campuses continue to work on destigmatizing seeking mental health support and fostering an environment where students are comfortable asking for assistance. By checking in on students and making mental health resources more visible and accessible, universities can better ensure students can perform effectively.

Kelly Tang is a junior in the Rutgers Business School majoring in Finance and Supply Chain Management. Tang’s column, “Don’t Get Me Started,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

*Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.