Rutgers women's soccer scores late penalty, ties with No. 1 Michigan State

Redshirt freshman midfielder Gabriela Gil and the Rutgers women's soccer team tied 1-1 with Michigan State on Sunday. – Photo by Tom Gilbert

On Sunday afternoon, the Rutgers women's soccer team tied 1-1 against Michigan State in East Lansing, Michigan. With 5 minutes left in the game, the Scarlet Knights (8-1-2, 4-0-1) secured a goal via the penalty spot and were able to hold off the undefeated Spartans (8-0-4, 3-0-2).

Although the first half of the game was scoreless, it was an intense battle between both teams from the start. No. 1 Michigan State constantly moved the ball down the field, but Rutgers' defense was determined to prevent the Spartans from scoring.

Freshman midfielder Shaela Bradley tried to open the scoring for the Knights, but her shot was deflected away. Michigan State came close to scoring multiple times, but redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Olivia Bodmer parried the shots away.

In the 41st minute, Jordyn Wickes attempted one last shot for the Spartans, which was saved by Bodmer to keep the game scoreless heading into halftime. Michigan State had the advantage with seven shots, and Rutgers attempted three.

Senior forward Riley Tiernan had the Knights' first threatening chance of the second half in the 64th minute, but Spartans goalkeeper Kaitlyn Parks saved her shot.

It wasn't until the 80th minute that Michigan State took the lead. After a lengthy video review, Mackenzie Anthony's 3rd goal of the season stood, and the Spartans were in front.

With little time remaining, Rutgers pushed for the equalizer. Redshirt freshman forward Reilly McGlinn and sophomore midfielder Patricia Tsokos both had shots on target but no success.

The Knights would be awarded a golden opportunity to tie the game in the 86th minute. Sophomore forward Ashley Baran's cross hit the hand of a Michigan State player, awarding Rutgers a penalty kick. Up stepped redshirt freshman midfielder Gabriela Gil, who sent Parks the wrong way to score her 2nd goal of the season.

Neither team could find a late winner, as the game ended in a draw.

The Spartans outshot the Knights 11-10, but the latter had six shots on goal to the former's four.

Although the result ended Rutgers' seven-game win streak and shutout streak, it's still a commendable result against the top team in the nation. It was the Knights' best result against a No. 1 ranked team since 2015 when they played No. 1 Virginia to a scoreless draw and won on penalties in the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals.

Rutgers will remain on the road for a game against Penn State on Friday. The contest will begin at 5 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

"We knew that it was going to be a tough game playing against the No. 1 team on the road," Gil said. "Coming back from a goal down is always challenging, but we had a strong mentality to keep attacking."

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.