Rutgers women's soccer opens up Big Ten play on road against Wisconsin

The Rutgers women's soccer team has been firing on all cylinders during its three-game winning streak and will look to keep the momentum going against Wisconsin in the teams' first Big Ten matchup of the season. – Photo by Zoe Torralba

The Rutgers women's soccer team will head to Wisconsin on Thursday for its first conference game of the season. The Scarlet Knights (4-1-1, 0-0) have opened up a three-game winning streak and will look to keep it rolling this week with their first Big Ten matchup of the young season.

Rutgers' most recent victory came against NC State on Sunday. The Knights shut out the Wolfpack (2-3-1, 0-0) by a score of 2-0, controlling possession of the ball while also playing stifling defense when NC State's attack came knocking.

Junior midfielder Allie Post scored each of Rutgers' 2 goals during the game. With 3 goals on the season, Post leads the team and will likely continue to be a key offensive contributor against the Badgers (4-1-1, 0-0).

Wisconsin must also keep a careful eye on senior forward Riley Tiernan. Tiernan, who has 2 goals and five assists on the year, constantly applies pressure near the opposition's goal, whether she is looking to score or find her teammates.

The Knights and the Badgers have the same win-loss record heading into this game, and given that both teams have scored 10 goals so far in the new campaign, there will be fierce competition to see who can prevail.

In 10 all-time matchups between the two programs, Wisconsin holds the upper hand against Rutgers. The former has beaten the latter five times and lost just three times, drawing twice. The two teams did not face off last year until the Big Ten Tournament when the Badgers bested the Knights on penalty kicks after drawing 0-0 in regulation. Though, Rutgers did defeat Wisconsin in the previous matchups between the two in 2022 and 2021.

While the Badgers have many solid players that can determine the outcome of the game, Aryssa Mahrt leads the team by a wide margin with 6 goals. Mahrt has scored in 4 out of Wisconsin's 6 games this season. No other Badger has more than 1 goal.

While Mahrt often finds the back of the net for Wisconsin, Ashley Martinez leads the team with three assists while also scoring a goal of her own. Considering the impressive play to begin the season from these two offensive threats, the Knights will have to put most of their defensive focus into shutting the duo down.

Senior forward Gia Girman will return on the offensive for the Knights after serving her three-game suspension, which she sustained following her role in an altercation against UMass. On the defense, senior defenders Emily Mason and Kassidy Banks will be essential in containing the Badgers' offensive attack.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Olivia Bodmer has been between the posts for Rutgers throughout every game this season and has made 14 saves while giving up just 2 goals. Drew Stover has been the primary goalie for Wisconsin, racking up 15 saves and giving up 4 goals.

The Knights hope to continue their winning run and return victorious from their Midwest trip. The game will begin at 8 p.m. at the McClimon Track/Soccer Complex in Madison, Wisconsin, and will be available for streaming on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.