Gia Girman to serve suspension after actions in brawl against UMass

Senior forward Gia Girman will serve a three-match suspension after her altercation in the Rutgers women's soccer team's last game against UMass.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Senior forward Gia Girman will serve a three-match suspension for her actions during an altercation in the Rutgers women's soccer team's 1-0 loss to UMass last Sunday.

The incident occurred about 10 minutes into the second half after Girman committed a foul. Following the challenge, Ashley Lamond approached Girman and tried to pick her up to get the ball, leading to multiple punches from the players. As a result, both Girman and Lamond were sent off with red cards.

"The incident on Sunday was unfortunate and not indicative of Gia's character or the culture of the Rutgers women's soccer family," said head coach Mike O'Neill. 

Girman has played for the Scarlet Knights (1-1-1, 0-0) her entire collegiate career, netting 2 goals last season and 4 in total. This season, she has started in all three matches but has yet to score a goal.

"Gia has been a model student-athlete and a senior leader on this team," O'Neill said. "She understands the seriousness of her actions on Sunday and accepts responsibility for her role. Gia will use this as a learning opportunity, and together we are moving forward as a program."

Without Girman, Rutgers will look to return to winning ways on Wednesday night against Lehigh at Yurcak Field on Busch campus. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

Girman will be eligible to play again in the Knights' Big Ten opener against Wisconsin on September 12.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Jonathan Vasquez's work, follow @VazSpeaksSports on X.