ON THE FRONT LINES: We need proportional representation

Given the declining trust in democracy in the U.S., proportional representation can go far in fixing this problem.  – Photo by Marek Studzinski/Unsplash

It is no surprise that people in the U.S. are increasingly disillusioned with Congress. Its image as a hub of dysfunction, polarization and bureaucracy is deeply ingrained in the public's mind. The data further reinforces this perception.

It seems nearly impossible for Congress to pass a budget on time, leading to a perception of government shutdowns happening more frequently. Congress is more polarized than ever, and the latest Congress has been deemed one of the most ineffective in decades.

This displeasure does not translate to changes in membership, with representatives and senators enjoying a nearly 95 percent re-election rate.

For many, voting does not matter. They believe that whoever is in office will not bring about much change to benefit their lives.

This apathetic mindset is not just a personal issue but a systemic one. When citizens disengage, they relinquish their power to hold politicians accountable, perpetuating a cycle of ineffective governance.

With only a 19 percent approval rate, Congress and the election process need to change.

One of the most effective ways would be through proportional representation.

In the U.S., our congressional elections are run through a first-past-the-post system. Essentially, this system means that whichever candidate gets the most votes wins the election. Seems simple and intuitive, right? Coupled with single-member districts, this system rewards one person with winning the election. It does not matter how much they won by, just as long as they got the most votes.

While simple, this system is breaking democracy.

Even though it may seem democratic, it does not mean the winner has received most of the votes. For example, if a candidate wins the election with 40 percent of the vote share, that still means 60 percent voted against them.

But those voices do not end up mattering, especially with single-member districts.

The result is that a minority of the population is being represented in our democratic government.

This first-past-the-post system also entrenches the two-party system. Voters who might be more inclined to vote for a third-party candidate may choose not to out of fear of supporting a throw-away candidate, leading to the greater of two evils winning the election. As a result, these voters may sit out of the election or hold their noses and vote for the lesser of two evils.

Thus, even as most Americans want a viable third-party option, the system prevents that.

If first-past-the-post does not work, what is the alternative? That would be proportional representation.

In a proportional representative system, representatives are elected in multi-member districts rather than single-member districts. The party's vote share also determines the composition of the representation. For example, if there was a 5-seat district and the Democrats won 20 percent of the vote, they would get one seat.

In determining the members who would represent the district, some countries, like Spain, have proportional representation systems that employ a closed-list system, where the party chooses the representatives.

Alternatively, open-list systems allow voters to vote for the party and the district's candidates. This system would fix many of the problems posed by first-past-the-post.

Regarding third parties, the burden would no longer be getting a majority vote but rather enough votes to get a seat. This can make voters more likely to vote for a third-party option without the fear of supporting a throw-away candidate.  

By getting a seat, members of a third party can have a better chance of gaining governmental experience and testing their ideas, leading to increased credibility and accomplishments should these third-party members seek higher office. 

When it comes to government accountability, it is much easier to accomplish with proportional representation. Since the threshold is much lower for securing a seat, a politician who does not seem to do their job can no longer rely on low voter turnout to secure a seat.

Additionally, with more viable candidates in an election, these ineffective politicians can no longer rely on the argument of the lesser of two evils.

This would encourage politicians to be more willing to engage in good governance and create more pressure to implement policy items.

With the current first-past-the-post system, Congress has been viewed as a static organization incapable of addressing critical issues affecting Americans. Switching to the proportional representation system would set the U.S. on the right track to ensuring that citizens can have their voices heard in our democratic institutions.

Kiran Subramanian is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in economics and political science.

Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.