Holloway announces next steps in appointing Newark chancellor

The University administration has announced a new stage in the process of determining Rutgers—Newark's permanent chancellor through the creation of a multidisciplinary committee. – Photo by Photo by studentaffairs.newark.rutgers.edu

Last week, University President Jonathan Holloway announced the formation of a committee to identify former Rutgers—Newark Chancellor Nancy Cantor's permanent replacement.

Cantor's term formally ended in June 2024 and was the subject of public outcry as notable public officials and Newark community members alike pushed for its renewal, as previously reported by The Daily Targum. Her term as president of Hunter College began earlier this month.

Members of the search committee for Cantor's successor span all areas of campus life, with members of the administration, trustees, student leaders, graduate students, department heads, professors and librarians represented.

The University intends to appoint Cantor's successor by the Spring 2025 semester and will announce other avenues of feedback in the near future.

In his announcement, Holloway also addressed the contributions of Jeffrey Robinson, who served as interim chancellor for Rutgers—Newark after Cantor's departure in July.

"I want to applaud Jeffrey Robinson for stepping forward to provide vital leadership as interim chancellor, helping Rutgers—Newark to uphold and bolster its reputation as an engine of social mobility for our students, a hub of outstanding research, and a model anchor institution," Holloway said.

Any individual interested in providing confidential submissions and feedback over the course of this search can contact NewarkChancellorSearch@rutgers.edu, which was set up by Isaacson-Miller, an independent hiring firm.