New Brunswick City Council unanimously votes for its salary increase

The New Brunswick City Council voted on January 17 to increase council members' salaries until 2034.  – Photo by Hudconja / commons.wikimedia.org

On January 17, the New Brunswick City Council unanimously voted on an ordinance increasing the salaries of council members for the next 10 years, according to MyCentralJersey.

By February 1, the council president will receive a $3,750 salary increase and will be earning $21,500 by 2026. Council members will start earning $21,000 by the beginning of 2026. From 2028 onward, the council will receive a $1,000 salary increase every two years until 2034. 

Michael Drulis, city administrator and acting director of finance, said during the meeting that the last increase was in 2021 and based on the 2017 ordinance. The new council salary increase is based on examining surrounding cities' council salaries, and New Brunswick will be spending comparatively less than other cities, he said.

"The salary (increase) comes at a time when municipal taxes in New Brunswick have remained relatively flat in recent years. It's been fueled by the 6 billion dollars in redevelopment," Drulis said. "Revenue from redevelopment is used to enhance local neighborhoods and has helped ensure a steady municipal tax rate year after year."

Charlie Kratovil, editor-in-chief of New Brunswick Today, said the salary increase from 2016 to 2017 that the council voted on was a 16.67 percent increase, while this salary increase is at a higher rate. He questioned what the council has done to deserve a much larger salary increase than in the past.

Kratovil also said the New Brunswick council has no committees and is not involved in other meetings aside from main council meetings — unlike other neighboring towns like Piscataway — but still used other city council salaries as a model.

Council President Rebecca Escobar said several of the current council members, including herself, are liaisons to government subdivisions and city boards.

"I think this council has been very active to ensure that we serve our residents to the best of our abilities," Escobar said. "I think (the salary increase) is deserved at this time."