Damon Murray, former Rutgers football commit, shot dead, 1st Hoboken homicide since 2022

Damon Murray, a former Rutgers football commit and Hoboken resident, was shot dead Sunday night in Hoboken's first homicide since 2022. – Photo by @JBernsteinHS / X.com

On Sunday night, Damon Murray, a former Rutgers football commit and Hoboken resident, was reportedly shot dead, according to the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office Homicide Unit.

Murray, 21 years old, died of an abdominal gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at midnight on Monday after being rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center. The exact cause of death is still being investigated by the Regional Medical Examiner's Office.

While no arrests have been made, the Prosecutor's Office Homicide Unit and the Hoboken Police Department are actively investigating the situation. This is the city's first homicide since 2022.

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office asks anyone with information to call them or leave an anonymous tip on their website.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the tragic passing of Damon Murray, a well-respected, standout athlete who gave back to Hoboken youth and our community at large," said Ravi Bhalla, the Hoboken City mayor. "My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends during this difficult time. May his memory continue to live on through all who knew him."

Murray was a 2020 defensive back commit from Hoboken High School where he played football and basketball. He was set to play alongside hometown teammate and former running back Nyjon Freeman. Murray did not pursue football as a Scarlet Knight and left Rutgers to take care of his family.