U. Board of Governors, Board of Trustees hold meetings Thursday

The Board of Governors and the Board of Trustees meetings were held on Thursday at Winants Hall on the College Avenue campus. – Photo by Aryan Sharma

On Thursday, the Rutgers Board of Governors and the Rutgers Board of Trustees held meetings at Winants Hall on the College Avenue campus to discuss the impact of the Israel-Hamas War on the campus community, as well as University appointments, demographic shifts and other relevant matters.

First, the Board of Governors met, and Chair William Best opened the meeting with a motion to enter an hour-long closed session.

Tilak Lal, a University Governor, said the Board would discuss faculty positions, such as tenure and promotions, in the closed session. The Board unanimously voted in favor, thereby deferring to a closed session.

Upon returning to the open session, University President Jonathan Holloway gave an opening speech about the University's recent accolades and announcements, such as board member Kevin Egan's election to the New Jersey General Assembly, developments on the construction of the Health and Life Science Exchange, distinctions awarded to University professors and the University's recent implementation of the Common Application.

He then talked about the Israel-Hamas War and its impact on educators and students. He pointed out that spaces to process emotions are necessary but that Rutgers must adhere to established regulations to protect the University community. He also said that the University does not shut down controversial events, even if the ideas discussed may inspire backlash.

Following Holloway's opening remarks, a speaker in the public session talked about the University's relationship with Motorola, a company identified by the United Nations as 1 of 112 providing service in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. 

They said that a former Board member was also the president of Motorola, referring to Greg Brown, who was chief executive officer of Motorola Solutions when he was elected as the Board's chair in 2014.

"So, I want to know how that is a good example and how Palestinian students, such as the ones that are here with me, can feel safe and trustworthy of these universities with that conflict of interest and with that investment in genocide and with that investment in dehumanization and the killing of, so far, 20,000 Palestinians," the speaker said.

After the public session, Board members gave reports on their respective committees for the remaining duration of the meeting. James Doughtery, the chair of the Camden Board of Directors reported that the number of faculty and students at Rutgers—Camden increased, especially among first-generation, transfer and graduate students.

The Board of Trustees convened hours later in Winants Hall.

Alan Crosta, the Board's chair, opened the meeting and congratulated Tilak Lal, Mary DiMartino and Sandy Stewart on their recognition as Loyal Sons and Daughters by the Rutgers Alumni Association, who will be honored at an award dinner at Neilson Dining Hall on Cook campus on April 13.

He then swore in Dina Elkins as a University trustee and introduced new Senate and student representatives before passing a memorial resolution for Rutgers alum and former congressman Herbert Klein, who died on November 24.

Crosta then yielded to Holloway, who reiterated his previous statements from the Board of Governors meeting and added a comment about reactions to a campus event occurring at the same time as Thursday's Board of Trustees meeting: "Race, Liberation, and Palestine: A Conversation with Noura Erakat, Nick Estes, and Marc Lamont Hill."

"One thing I wanted to give you a glimpse on what (Conway) and I and others have been trying to navigate through (is) trying to run our campuses while — I'll just say it — being electronically harassed," Holloway said.

He said the administration saw more than 12,000 emails over a ten-day period in response to the speaker series, including from Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-5).

Afterward, Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Francine Conway shared a report on the University's use of technology. Conway said much of the University population could be considered "digital natives" who were born after 1980 and are frequent technology users.

She talked about artificial intelligence and machine learning initiatives across the New Brunswick campus, specifically within the School of Engineering and the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. After concluding her presentation, Conway accepted questions from trustees.

Trustee Mary Papamarkou asked Conway about using technology to accommodate non-traditional students, such as online modules more commonly utilized by the University during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

Conway said that she assembled a committee on the subject, which concluded that a school focusing on non-traditional students ought to be constructed.

Trustee Susan Martin asked about a University-wide communication Conway sent Thursday afternoon surrounding the Israel-Hamas War and how the email relates to handling antisemitism and Islamophobia.

Conway said that members of the Office of the Chancellor and the Office of the President convene daily to discuss the issue. 

She also cited the creation of Caring for Our Community, a website dedicated to providing outlets to process the events in the Middle East, as well as the email that Martin mentioned, which referenced the Anti-Defamation League guidelines on antisemitism, Conway said.

Robert Schwartz, a Senate representative, asked Conway about the University's efforts to invite international students to the University. Conway replied that current events have made it difficult for international students to come to Rutgers, but there are still interactions between the University and abroad, notably India.

Lastly, Gary Chropuvka, a trustee, shared financial insights in lieu of Michael Gower, the Board's treasurer. Chropuvka announced that the Endowment Office would be renamed to the Investment Office and that there would be additional accountability measures to ensure University finances stay within range.

"So, I want to thank you all for answering the call to be part of the life of our University and for making our beloved community stronger," Crosta concluded before adjourning the meeting.