COLUMN: Rutgers men's basketball newcomers are finding their form

Fifth-year guard Noah Fernandes is making strides in his recent games and is looking to lead the way for the Rutgers men's basketball team. – Photo by Evan Leong

The Rutgers men's basketball team has won four consecutive games after falling to Princeton in its season opener. The Scarlet Knights (4-1, 0-0) have some new faces that have stood out and have made an instant impact thus far.

Rutgers lost Paul Mulcahy, Caleb McConnell and Cam Spencer in the offseason, all of whom were starters last season.

The Knights added fifth-year guard Noah Fernandes to their roster to bring leadership and veteran experience after the departure of Mulcahy. Fernandes, a transfer from UMass, averaged a team-leading 13.4 points per game and dished out the third-most assists last season for the Minutemen (2-1, 0-0). He was also his team's strongest shooter from beyond the arc, as he led the way with a 45.2 three-point percentage.

Fernandes has had a slow start to this season, but he has been showing improvement as of late and is averaging 7 points per game. Not only is Fernandes making a push to be a leader for Rutgers, but he is also looking to fill the shoes of Spencer with his impressive shooting from the three-point range. 

The Knights have also welcomed freshman guards Jamichael Davis and Gavin Griffiths.

Griffiths, a four-star recruit, is already making an impact on the Banks. He had a career-high 25 points in the win against Boston University and is a fan favorite. 

Griffiths is a great shooter from deep and has a quick first step which allows him to both make plays on the perimeter or drive down the lane to score. His basketball IQ on the offensive end is reminiscent of former guard Geo Baker, who was highly effective in creating offense during his time with the team. Griffiths is currently averaging 10.6 points per game and has a shooting percentage of 44.7 from the field.

Davis, a three-star recruit, has a fast style of play that can be compared to sophomore guard Derek Simpson. This season, he has provided the third-most assists and grabbed the fourth-most rebounds for the team. Davis also has the second-most steals, which can be attributed to his fast pace and tenacious style of play. 

Despite only playing five games, the new players have already started to find their form under head coach Steve Pikiell. Pikiell has yet to find his true starting lineup, but Fernandes, Davis and Griffiths have made it clear that they can make an impact for Rutgers.

After missing out on the NCAA Tournament last season, the Knights will be looking to bounce back this year and will rely on their newcomers to bring success.

Rutgers will look to continue its winning streak on Monday against Saint Peter's at Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus. The game will tip off at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.