Confusing or completely iconic: Looking back on wildest award show moments

Britney Spears' performance at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards was just one of many iconic moments in awards show history. – Photo by @BeWarmers / Twitter

You never know what to expect when you decide to tune in to an awards show. Is someone going to fall on the red carpet? Is someone going to say something they shouldn't during their speech? Whatever it may be, awards shows are pretty well-known for their iconic, strange moments that become a part of pop culture history. 

Whether at the Oscars or the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), famous attendees are bound to do something that'll make the night memorable. Here are some of the most iconic moments in awards show history.

Best Picture Mix-up at the 2017 Oscars

Starting strong at the 2017 Oscars when "La La Land" won the award for Best Picture — or so we thought. Five minutes into the win and the acceptance speeches, it was announced that a mistake had been made, and the award for Best Picture actually went to "Moonlight."

It turns out that the presenters were given a card with the winner of Best Actress, which happened to be Emma Stone, who had won the award earlier that night for her performance in "La La Land."

Since the card included the film name "La La Land," the presenters simply announced the film as the Best Picture winner, thus creating one of the biggest Oscars flops to ever occur.

Taylor vs. Kanye at the 2009 MTV VMAs

Then, we have the award show that started a feud between Ye, formerly Kanye West, and Taylor Swift: the 2009 MTV VMAs. It was Swift's first award win for "You Belong With Me" in the Best Video by a Female Artist category.

In the middle of her acceptance speech, Ye ran onto the stage, took the microphone from Swift's hand and made his own speech, proclaiming that Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" music video was more deserving of the win.

The moment shocked audiences and sparked outrage on Twitter after it occurred. Celebrities like Kelly Clarkson and Katy Perry tweeted at Ye, asking why he chose to take the spotlight from a young artist.

The incident has since gone down in history, and it was the cause of later issues between the two — but discussing the events that led up to Swift's "Reputation" is a tale for another time.

Britney Spears at the 2001 MTV VMAs

The MTV VMAs seem to be the most popular event for strange moments to occur, and the 2001 award show was no exception. This particular event was well-known for Britney Spears' performance of "I'm a Slave 4 U" because she wasn't performing alone (and I'm not talking about her backup dancers).

Spears brought a 7-foot-long python on stage with her, which she had wrapped around her shoulders while dancing. And though Spears looked fearless holding the snake on stage, the snake's handler explained that the artist was absolutely terrified

Although the performance was one to remember, in retrospect, Spears says the whole idea was "so dumb." The artist may have appeared brave on that stage more than 20 years ago, but she has no plans of recreating her iconic performance. 

Jennifer Lawrence tripping at the 2013 Oscars

Everyone remembers the 2013 Oscars, and the reason probably isn't for the awards that were given out that night. You most likely remember the show due to Jennifer Lawrence's infamous trip, which was used in many memes and gifs for years afterward.

Lawrence was nominated for and won Best Actress for "Silver Linings Playbook." According to the actress, she was distracted as she was going up to the stage, causing her loss of balance. Since then, her trip on the stairs has gone down in history as one of the most memorable moments of the Oscars.

There's no limit on how many weird, interesting or iconic moments have occurred at awards shows. No matter how hard organizers try to make events flawless, celebrity attendees are bound to do something that the public will remember for years to come. And with social media today, nobody will ever forget them, least of all Twitter.