We don't have to tell you TWICE to listen to this addictive K-pop group

Now finding new heights of critical acclaim and success, TWICE's road to fame is quite an interesting journey. – Photo by @JYPETWICE / Twitter

On January 31, it was announced that the South Korean girl group TWICE was the recipient of the Breakthrough Artist Award at the annual Billboard Women in Music Awards. The group will be attending the award ceremony on March 1 in Los Angeles, ahead of the March 10 release of its 12th Mini Album, "Ready to Be."

After hitting the domestic jackpot in South Korea with chart-topping tracks like "CHEER UP," "TT" and "LIKEY," TWICE is now getting a taste of international success.

From a sold-out world tour to record-breaking album sales, TWICE has rightfully earned the title of "The Nation’s Girl Group." But newer fans might be wondering how the group got its start and what might be in store for the future of TWICE.

In 2013, TWICE’s parent company JYP Entertainment announced that it would be debuting a new girl group almost four years after another of one its girl groups, Miss A, released its debut album. Prior to TWICE, JYP Entertainment sought to form the group 6MIX, but plans fell through after two members left the group.

Record producer and reality TV judge J.Y. Park determined that the members of TWICE would be chosen through a girl group reality survival show called "SIXTEEN." True to its name, the show had 16 hopeful girls, with seven making the final cut.

After 10 episodes, Im Na-yeon, Yoo Jeong-yeon, Sana Minatozaki, Park Ji-hyo, Mina Myoi, Kim Da-hyun and Son Chae-young were chosen to be in the lineup for TWICE. Chou Tzu-yu was added as an audience favorite, and Hirai Momo was chosen by JYP Entertainment to be in the group.

In October 2015, TWICE debuted with the EP "The Story Begins" with its title track "Like Ooh-Ahh," which was met with lukewarm reception. It peaked in the top 30 on the Gaon charts, but it was with the group's next EP, "Page Two," where TWICE would have its first career breakthrough.

In April 2016, the group's chart-topper single "CHEER UP" off the EP was released. The "shy, shy, shy," line by member Sana went viral, spawning tons of memes for her cute delivery.

The group won its first music program award for this song, and it peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard World Digital Song Sales Chart. The group also made its debut at KCON in Los Angeles the same year.

From Feb. 17, 2017, to Feb. 19, 2017, TWICE had its first concert, "Twiceland — The Opening," which sold out all three nights.

TWICE made its Japanese debut on June 28, 2017, with the EP "#TWICE" and the Japanese version of one of its title tracks, "SIGNAL." The group released its first official Japanese single, "One More Time," in October 2017.

Following the critical and commercial success of its previous albums, TWICE finally released its first full-length album, "twicetagram" on October 30, 2017, with the title track "LIKEY." With this song, TWICE was the first K-pop act to top both Billboard’s World Albums and World Digital Song Sales.

Since then, the group's momentum has been unstoppable. TWICE was the first K-pop girl group to sell out the Tokyo Dome for three nights and the first K-pop girl group to headline a U.S. stadium concert for its encore concert in the Banc of California Stadium.

TWICE has been lauded for perfecting the bubblegum pop sound. Each one of its songs contains a catchy hook, and its furthering of its cute concept arguably pushed many groups to carve out a unique niche like TWICE.

The group has also been hailed for its gradual transition to more mature concepts, starting with title tracks like "FANCY" and "Alcohol-Free."

I might be a bit biased as a ONCE (the nickname for TWICE fans), but TWICE’s fan connection is one of the best in the industry. The group has a unique way of appreciating its fans and providing them with almost nonstop content.

TWICE's most recent Korean release, "BETWEEN 1&2" is a nod to the relationship between ONCEs and TWICE. ONCEs have an endless stream of content, from Dahyun’s piano covers to several reality shows displaying the mundane life of the members.

There's a member for everyone to love in TWICE, and the group's work ethic and passion make it easy for fans to feel connected to its success.

As of now, TWICE is focusing on international expansion, with the conclusion of its fourth world tour, "III," and the highly anticipated debut of MISAMO, a subgroup consisting of members Mina, Sana and Momo to promote in Japan.

TWICE has released two entirely English singles ahead of its albums and is only continuing to expand its outreach. Member Nayeon recently had her solo debut with "POP!," and there are rumors of more solos to come. Whatever music you like, TWICE surely has something in store for you.