School of Engineering professor awarded fellowship for mechanical engineering accomplishments

Onur Bilgen, an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, says he is honored to be commended by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) for his research. – Photo by Courtesy of Onur Bilgen

Onur Bilgen, an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, was recently appointed as a fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), according to a press release.

Bilgen said that he was awarded the position for significant engineering achievements, particularly relating to his research on renewable energy systems and system controls.

He joined the University after completing his Ph.D. in mechanical engineering at Virginia Tech and conducting postdoctoral research for two years at Swansea University in the U.K., he said.

Specifically, his research focuses on renewable energy systems and applied fluid dynamics, which includes wind and hydroelectric turbines, energy harvesting and smart materials.

"I have been interested in motion in machines, vehicles and bicycles and the magical flow of electricity in home electronics (e.g., radios, VCRs) since childhood," he said. "In high school, I learned that mechanical engineering is best suited for me."

During his time at Virginia Tech, Bilgen said he contributed to the engineering solutions of a Formula-style racing team and initially started working with smart materials. He then ended up using smart materials to control the shape of a small drone for his master’s degree project.

Bilgen’s engineering interests followed the career path he took and now encompass how smart materials affect renewable energy systems like kinetic turbines.

He said his overall vision is to equip smart materials in biomedical systems, compliant robots and drones to solve intricate problems and address urgent societal needs.

At Rutgers, Bilgen has taught several undergraduate and graduate courses and incorporates project-based learning for the benefit of his students. He said he designed a completely new and unique graduate-level class called "Drones: Fundamentals and Applications."

He currently holds the position of secretary for the ASME’s Aerospace Division Branch. Involved with the organization since 2008, he said he has chaired academic conferences and published various papers through the ASME.

The ASME is a global professional organization that bolsters collaboration among its members and encourages skill-based career development, according to the organization's website.

The ASME is also known for developing codes and standards across engineering disciplines which aim to standardize the safety and operational quality of technology from piping and elevators to power plants and nuclear parts.

Bilgen said his appointment as an ASME fellow was the result of a thorough nomination process and that he is honored to be recognized for his research and service to the engineering community.

To those aspiring to pursue a similar career trajectory, Bilgen said students should prioritize their classes and college education. He said he believes it is most beneficial for students to invest in a few areas of interest and try to excel within them rather than constantly switching focus or being entangled in too many different areas.

"I recommend students to be patient and persistent in their learning and educational journey," Bilgen said. "Being in one of the leading research institutions in the U.S. is a privilege that few in the world can attain — the students have so much to experience at Rutgers."