RUPD investigates multiple burglaries committed by same perpetrator

The adult male perpetrator is suspected in multiple burglaries at Rutgers affiliated buildings across several campuses. – Photo by Courtesy of Rutgers Crime Alert

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating several burglaries that occurred within Rutgers affiliated buildings during the months of August and September, according to a University-wide email sent yesterday.

The burglaries are suspected to be committed by the same adult male perpetrator and occurred in multiple buildings on the College Avenue, Cook and Douglass campuses, according to the email.

Several items of value, including computers and other electronic devices, were suspected to be stolen by the perpetrator in these incidents, said John Cramer, director of public and media relations.

Photographs of the suspect from multiple locations were released in the email and further description suggests that he is approximately between 5 feet 3 inches and 5 feet 5 inches tall. The RUPD told students not to approach the perpetrator in the event they see him on campus and instead contact RUPD communications.

The University recently reported two burglaries that occurred in the Ruth Adams Building and Loree Gymnasium on Douglass campus on Saturday and Sept. 10, respectively. The latest email did not specify whether the suspect is connected to these incidents.

Though, Cramer said the perpetrator has been seen at these locations as well as the Civic Square Building, the Clinical Academic Building, Blake Hall and a Rutgers affiliated residence located on College Avenue.

The RUPD reminded students to keep their valuables attended or secured, avoid propping exterior doors open and report suspicious activity to the police. Escorts are also available to members of the Rutgers community by request.

Editor's Note: This article was updated to include additional reporting.