One Stop Student Services Center opens for in-person services

Adrienne Baker, a graduate student at Mason Gross School of the Arts, recently received a grant from the University to cover her term bill after her $10,000 loan was revoked after she had used the funds. – Photo by Courtesy of Jim Stapleton

A new walk-in service is available to students who need help addressing issues with student accounting, financial aid and registration in the form of the One Stop Student Services Center.

Located at the Dr. Samuel Dewitt Proctor Hall across from the Busch Student Center, One Stop aims to provide a convenient place for all students’ needs in managing the non-academic side of student life by removing the difficulties of navigating multiple offices across campus, said Jim Stapleton, the center’s associate director.

“The One Stop is here to provide support for the business end of education so students can devote time and attention to their academics,” Stapleton said. “One Stop staff can investigate, troubleshoot and resolve many questions, and while doing so (can educate) students on available resources to promote student empowerment and investment in their own education and finance.”

He said One Stop first opened Aug. 9 and has since been able to help hundreds of parents, students and guests. It supplements existing financial aid, student accounting and registrar services in that any issues that the center cannot resolve can be brought up to other offices within the same building.

“The One Stop represents a giant leap in the customer service experience for our students and acts as a single point of service to promote a progressive, simplified and consistent student experience and a culture that supports student satisfaction and success,” said Courtney McAnuff, vice chancellor for enrollment management.

Richard Morales, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said he visited One Stop to get help with applying for in-state tuition and had a pleasant experience overall.

“It was so easy, it was so convenient,” he said. “I was there for, like 5-minutes, and it was probably the easiest part of the whole process.”

Morales said he would recommend using One Stop to other students because it was much easier to resolve issues through One Stop than other University student accounting centers, most of which he said did not respond to his emails.

Brendon Ho, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said he appreciated the fluidity of service at One Stop when requesting a refund. 

"My experience was pretty good — they were really friendly, they were pretty fast," he said. "First of all, it's easy to check in. Second of all, it's a nicer facility."

Ho said that staff at other Rutgers accounting and financial aid service centers are also friendly from his experience, but the quality of life at One Stop was noticeably higher with its upgraded facility.

Jay Stefanelli, director of One Stop, said many other students have expressed high levels of satisfaction so far with all of the center’s services, which have measured high in reported timeliness, knowledge and friendliness.

“The change in the student experience is entirely the result of the change in culture spurred on by the introduction of the One Stop team — all of whose members demonstrate a passion for working with students, a dedication to supporting one another and a desire to revolutionize Rutgers,” Stefanelli said. 

The center is open for walk-ins Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Fridays from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Students can also submit any questions they have for the center through its online portal.