Rutgers—Newark professors publish report on re-engaging youth in college after COVID-19

The Newark City of Learning Collaborative (NCLC) and New Jersey State Policy Lab published a report on the barriers that stopped students aged 18 to 26 in Newark from enrolling in college, specifically after the pandemic.  – Photo by Pixabay / pexels.com

Recently, the Newark City of Learning Collaborative (NCLC) and New Jersey State Policy Lab published a study investigating barriers that deter college-bound students aged 18 to 26 in Newark from enrolling in college programs, according to a University article.

Robyn Ince, an assistant professor in the Department of Urban Education at Rutgers—Newark and the executive director of NCLC, said that the center's previous work focused on empowering "disconnected youth" who have already obtained their GED or high school degrees by extending resources about college. This study, on the other hand, aims to explore resource accessibility and availability for students who want to attend college or resume college after previously withdrawing from university, she said.

According to the report, New Jersey undergraduate institutions saw a higher percentage decline in enrollment — 6.7 percent from Spring 2021 to Spring 2022 — than the national average of 4.1 percent.

Elisabeth Kim, an assistant professor in the Department of Education and Leadership at California State University, Monterey Bay and co-author of the report, said that the NCLC team interviewed disconnected students due to COVID-19 as well as leaders of community-based organizations who address the needs of the Newark population.

In addition, the team conducted a literature review of existing information about the various organizations and their services to the public, followed by an analysis of census data to better understand the disconnected student population.

The study's main goal was to elucidate the type and quality of existing support available and hear leaders' viewpoints on ways to re-engage students in college, she said.

"College can mean different things … Two-year, four-year," Kim said. "It can mean different kinds of vocational and career technical educational training as well."

Bernie Lombardi, a postdoctoral associate in the Department of Africana Studies at Rutgers—Newark and a research specialist at NCLC, described that interviews were either conducted over Zoom or at the community-based organization that the individuals participated in.

One of the findings for NCLC was the lack of awareness about the resources available to students, Lombardi said.

The report delineated that most students' exposure to college and career counseling is limited to high school counselors and teachers, so after graduating high school, their access to resources ceases. Another hurdle was the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and the difficulty of completing the paperwork.

COVID-19 compounded the challenges, as students faced the death of family members and other emotional and mental health obstacles, Kim said.

According to the report and the University article, NCLC recommends more partnerships among community organizations to create a cohesive, centralized network of support and more data collection for the 18- to 26-year-old demographic to address their problems and more innovative approaches for universities to recruit disengaged youth.

Ince and Kim agreed that the implications of this research are national. Given New Jersey's abundant grants and support provided to students, the results of the study can support the link between resources and the students who need them and, hopefully, inform better solutions, Ince said.

An example of the state's responsiveness to declining postsecondary enrollment is the Youth Disconnection Prevention Bill (S3080), which established a task force to explore factors that dissuade youth from attending college and probe potential initiatives to reduce their withdrawal, according to the New Jersey Legislature

"It's an important group to focus on, particularly post-COVID, because we really heard from almost everyone that they do want to engage in some kind of training, and they do have goals and dreams and things that they want to achieve, and they just need a little bit of help in doing that," Kim said.