Gay rights supporters flood Brower Commons

Student protesters hold signs and wave flags yesterday evening
on the steps of Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus. The
rally, organized by LLEGO, aimed to demonstrate pride as well as
opposition to a recent Calif. law restricting gay marriage. – Photo by Andrew Howard

More than 100 students and activists rallied on the steps of Brower Commons last night protesting the passage of ballot measures opposing same-sex marriage.

Proposition 8, a ballot measure banning same-sex marriage, passed in California on Nov. 4 and has sparked protests in California and across the nation.

"It's really bizarre that this right was voted on when it already existed," said James Bocchiaro, a first-year School of Arts and Sciences student. "Heterosexual marriages weren't voted on. The rights of any other minorities weren't specifically voted on, and it seems very counterproductive to the movement of change that America is going through."

The ballot measure passed 52 to 48 percent, according to election results, but Bocchiaro said he thinks the courts will overturn Proposition 8.

Nevertheless, dozens of students from LLEGO, a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community group for people of color which helped organize the event, carried signs and chanted for their cause.

Equipped with blow horns, organizers led chants of "We're here we're queer and we're ready," "Homophobia has got to go" and "LGBT we just want equality."

Students carried signs that read, "Marriage is a universal right," "Nowhere in the constitution does it say ‘For Some'" and "We are everywhere; We are your family, friends & coworkers."

"I pay taxes, I live in this country and I voted in the election and I am not allowed to get married. That is not right," said Lauren Beckett, a School of Arts and Sciences junior to the crowd. "On Nov. 4 2008 I officially became a second class citizen."

Blacks and Latinos in California strongly back Proposition 8, according to a Washington Post Article. About 70 percent of blacks supported the ban, according to the article.

Cassandra Pernia, a Rutgers College junior, said she thinks society is taking a step backwards.

"[Americans] voted our first black president into office, but at the same time, Proposition 8, along with other propositions, were passed," she said. "It was as if America took a big step forward, but society found a way to step back."

Only Massachusetts and Connecticut allow same-sex couples to marry by law.

"I moved here from Massachusetts where legal gay marriages abound," said Jenny Kurtz, a coordinator for the office of Social Justice Education & LGBT Communities.

While it seems like the voters of California have succeeded temporarily curtailing the rights of same-sex couples to marry, rallies like these are a good way to inform citizens and help the LGBTQ cause, Kurtz said.

"What do we have to gain by calling it marriage instead of domestic partnerships? I'll tell you, 1100 rights," Beckett said.

The same-sex marriage laws in New Jersey undermine liberties and rights as an American, Bocchiaro said.

New Jersey allows for same-sex couples to join only under civil unions.

At the end of 2006, Gov. Jon S. Corzine signed legislation for civil unions.

"This allowed a government union which still denied other rights," Bocchiaro said. "For example, insurance benefits are affected, housing mortgages are also affected."

These limitations are offensive and unjust, Bocchiaro said.