Veo scooter parking installed around College Avenue campus

Veo e-scooters can now be parked in designated bright blue spaces around the College Avenue campus, such as this one in Lot 26. – Photo by Alex Kenney

The University recently placed parking spaces for Veo scooters around the College Avenue campus.

The parking spaces appear to be boxes bordered off by neon blue adhesive with a label that reads, "Veo e-scooter parking."

A University spokesperson confirmed that the parking spots were installed by the University. She added that their purpose was to clear sidewalks for pedestrians so that scooters do not obstruct walking paths.

The parking spaces can be found in Lot 26 behind the College Avenue Student Center and in Lot 30 behind the College Avenue Gym. They can also be found next to the Student Activities Center and next to Alexander Johnston Hall, both on the College Avenue campus. It is not yet known whether there are plans to expand the spots or if they have been effective.

The Highland Park Borough Council passed a similar ordinance in 2021 requiring scooters to be parked in designated spots. Though at Rutgers, returning them to parking spots seems to be suggested but not required, according to the University's guide on e-scooter usage.