Volunteer base doubles for Rutgers—Newark community kitchen operation

One month into the Fall 2024 semester, a Rutgers—Newark-based restaurant saw increased engagement after the campus admitted its largest incoming class. – Photo by Courtesy of the JBJ Soul Kitchen

Rutgers—Newark student involvement at a nonprofit community restaurant created by the Jon Bon Jovi (JBJ) Soul Foundation has grown since the Spring 2024 semester, according to restaurant staff.

The JBJ Soul Kitchen defines itself as an establishment that aims to increase access to local food and resources. Part of its operations depend on donations and volunteers.

"I believe we've had almost double the amount of volunteers and the same regular volunteers, which is fantastic," JBJ Soul Kitchen manager Gina Amesbury said.

Amesbury pointed out an increase in first-year student volunteers from the Spring 2024 semester, which could be attributed to the size of Rutgers—Newark's most recent incoming class — the largest the campus has seen thus far.

She added that the Fall 2024 semester has seen an increase in guests, which she considered a sign that the JBJ Soul Kitchen is increasing its presence on campus.

"Definitely, I'd say, more and more people are coming to JBJ, which is a good thing," volunteer Nicholas James Khan, a Rutgers Business School sophomore, said.

Known for its "pay-it-forward" model, the JBJ Soul Kitchen relies on donations to feed its student volunteers, as previously reported by The Daily Targum. The JBJ Soul Kitchen further reported that more than 50 percent of Rutgers—Newark students "face exceptional financial needs," while approximately 60 percent experience difficulty affording to feed themselves.

Despite the additional volunteers, the restaurant still faces challenges generating sufficient donations, as a three-course meal costs a flat fee of $12, according to the Targum.

"That's why it's only 12 bucks for the courses — because that covers our food costs and labor and nothing else," Amesbury said. "Any other dollar that comes from donations, I'm almost begging for it. It's so important."

Additionally, many students still do not know about the restaurant's mission or even that it exists — an issue that has seemingly persisted since the Targum last visited the restaurant.

"I'd like to see more new faces," Amesbury said.