U. Democrats, Republicans discuss vice presidential debate at watch party

On Tuesday, the Eagleton Institute of Politics' Center for Youth Participation, with Rutgers College Republicans, Rutgers University Democrats and the Department of Political Science, held a live vice presidential debate watch party. – Photo by Adam Ahmadi

On Tuesday, the Eagleton Institute of Politics' Center for Youth Participation along with Rutgers College Republicans, Rutgers University Democrats and the Department of Political Science held a live watch party for the first and only vice presidential debate between Gov. Tim Walz (D-Minn.) and Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio).  

Prior to the debate, students told The Daily Targum what they hoped to see.

Avery Gordon, a School of Engineering sophomore and vice president of the Rutgers Democrats, said he wanted to hear Vance address exaggerated claims he has made about Haitian migrants. Gordon also said he looked forward to rigorous policy debates.

"It's less mudslinging," he said. "This is where I think the real serious discussion of substantive policy is going to occur."

Liam Gonzalez, a School of Arts and Sciences first year, said he hoped to see both candidates address controversial decisions they've made, including Vance's past criticisms of his running mate, former President Donald J. Trump, and Walz's handling of the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests in Minneapolis.

Eric Silverman, a School of Arts and Sciences first year, said, "We're at a really crucial point in our nation's history … I want to see this (debate) and be a part of this historic process."

The debate began with a question regarding foreign policy. Both Walz and Vance re-asserted their candidates' support for Israel, while Walz criticized Trump for his perceived erratic behavior. Vance responded by praising Trump's approach to foreign policy.

"Donald Trump recognized that in order for people to fear the United States, you needed peace through strength," Vance said.

The discussion then pivoted to climate change, where Vance charged Vice President Kamala Harris with worsening the issue by outsourcing jobs to China. Walz touted his record as governor, and criticized Trump for previously referring to climate change as a "hoax."

On immigration, Vance was pressed on Trump's plan to deploy the military to deport undocumented immigrants. Vance said that Harris and President Joseph R. Biden Jr. caused an alleged influx in illegal immigration, to which Walz responded by criticizing Trump for politicizing the issue.

Walz also brought up Vance's rhetoric surrounding Haitian immigrants, which has resulted in school closures, according to Associated Press News.

"When (immigration) becomes a talking point like this, we dehumanize and villainize other human beings," Walz said.

Both candidates touched upon their personal histories, with Vance explaining how government programs helped his family while his mother grappled with addiction. Walz talked about his long record of public service, including 12 years in the U.S. House, and his time as a teacher.

Regarding the economy, Walz criticized Trump's tax cuts, which he said disproportionately benefited the upper class, and promised to raise taxes on the ultra-wealthy. Vance blamed immigration and outsourcing of manufacturing jobs for the rising cost of living.

The candidates also discussed abortion, with Walz telling stories of various women who faced medical crises due to being in states that had outlawed abortion, and he pledged to defend abortion rights nationwide. Vance said access to abortion should be decided by individual states, which Walz opposed.

"How can we as a nation say that your life and your rights … (are) determined on geography?" Walz asked.

Vance and Walz also addressed housing prices, with Vance blaming Harris' immigration policies for raising prices, while Walz promoted government subsidies for housing. The candidates also debated the cost of health care and paid family leave.

Vance was asked about his statements that he would not have certified the 2020 election results, to which he responded by saying that his focus was solving crises caused by Harris' policies. When asked by Walz if he believed Trump lost the 2020 election, Vance deflected and did not answer the question.

During this moment and other points throughout the watch party, the approximately 60 students in attendance reacted with laughter.

Similar to last month's presidential debate watch party, the audience's largest reaction was in response to the moderator, CBS News' Margaret Brennan, cutting off Vance as he alleged Haitian migrants were staying in the U.S. illegally, a moment Aden Jordan, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, remarked was notable.

After the debate, the organizers held a debrief session, where students were free to voice their thoughts. Several students said they were satisfied with the substance of the debate. Gordon remarked that he was happy with the tone the candidates took.

"I think this is definitely what the American public wants to hear," he said. "I think anyone who is critical of the state of our politics or who is quick to dog on the level of decorum in our federal politics should watch this debate and remember that there is a real place for substantive debate."