Torched by Trojans: Toasted defense hurts Rutgers football in 22-point road loss to USC

The Rutgers football team dropped its fourth straight game in a 22-point thrashing at the hands of USC. – Photo by Mike Thomas / scarletknights.com

For the fourth straight week, the Rutgers football team walked off the field with a loss. The Scarlet Knights (4-4, 1-4) fell to USC by a score of 42-20 Friday night and now face a season in collapse.

It was another ugly game for the Rutgers secondary as the Trojans (4-4, 2-4) offense picked it apart.

Faltering first half for the defense

USC scored on all four of its first-half possessions. The Trojans' dominance started early with a game-opening 10 play, 77-yard drive. USC completed four straight first downs as quarterback Miller Moss found open receivers on three of them.

Woody Marks was able to punch the ball in from the 1-yard line to give the Trojans an early 7-0 lead. The Knights answered with a field goal, but USC punched back with an 80-yard return on the ensuing kickoff and another Marks touchdown. At the 2:19 mark of the first quarter, Rutgers trailed the Trojans 14-3.

In the second quarter, USC was able to take advantage of a Knights turnover on downs with an 11-yard touchdown pass on a quick 7 play, 69-yard drive that lasted around 3 minutes.

The Knights, though, wouldn’t let an 18-point deficit overwhelm them as their offense was able to move the chains. Two pass interference calls against the Trojans in the red zone would set up a touchdown run for freshman running back Antwan Raymond, but a missed extra point put the score at 21-9 in favor of USC.

Even with a sliver of momentum, the defense couldn’t stop a nosebleed as the Trojans charged down the field again for 81 yards on six plays, capped off by a 22-yard touchdown scamper for Marks. Marks exploded for 103 yards from scrimmage in the first half, showcasing his dual-threat rushing and receiving ability that Rutgers failed to contain.

The Knights were in desperate need of a response on offense. Just when it seemed like they would score 6 points on first and goal at the 2-yard line, three incompletions set up a head-scratching field goal.

Head coach Greg Schiano and Rutgers would trot into the locker room down 28-12 with a mountain to climb in the second half.

With their backs to the wall, the offense steps up and the defense does not

After back-to-back punts from both teams to start the second half, senior quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis let loose. The Minnesota transfer was able to find senior receiver Dymere Miller for a beautiful 45-gain into opposing territory. The pair could not hook up on a deep ball in the first half after Kalikamanis sailed it over an open Miller in the endzone.

In the following play, Kalikamanis delivered a strike to senior receiver Christian Dremel for a 25-yard touchdown. 

Needing 2 points to make it a one-possession game, Rutgers shocked fans at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum with a “Jersey Special” play call that featured senior wide receiver Chris Long taking a pitch and finding an open Kalikamanis for a trick play conversion. The Knights trailed just 28-20, with the tide finally shifting in their favor.

But the defense would let Rutgers down like it had done all game before. On the first play of the ensuing drive, Miller found Makai Lemon down the field. Lemon was able to turn on the jets, evade tackles and sprint for a 70-yard gain to set up the Trojans at the 5-yard line. 

It seemed like the Knights would hold USC to just 3 points, but a pass interference call on senior defensive back Shaquan Loyal set up a Moss touchdown run to give USC a 35-20 lead.

Later in the third quarter. Moss found a wide open Lemon for a 40-yard score which would be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

When Rutgers needed it the most, the defense disappointed them in a crucial moment and would ultimately lead to the Knights falling to the Trojans by 22 points when the final whistle was blown.

Kyle Monangai hurt

Coming into the game, senior running back Kyle Monangai was questionable with an undisclosed injury. 

The star back would end up being the starter when Rutgers took the field. On two different occasions, Monangai stayed down on the turf after tough hits.

After he went down in the second quarter, he displayed his toughness by coming in shortly after. Late in the third quarter, though, another hard shot from a USC defender downed Monangai again. 

As the Trojans took over, there was no need to put Monangai back in the game. But the Knights best offensive weapon being hurt added injury to insult in a beating at the hands of USC.

Rutgers and Monangai will look to get healthy as they enter their bye week. It will be a much-needed rest for a hobbled Knights team looking to snap a four-game skid when they take on Minnesota on November 9.