Targum spotlight: RUOK? opens conversation about mental health for U. students

Maria Pineiro Goncalves represents RUOK?, an on-campus organization for mental health awareness, at the School of Engineering's New Student Kickoff event on Busch campus. – Photo by Photo by Courtesy of Maria Pineiro Goncalves

RUOK? is a club that works to create a space for students to learn about resources and engage in activities related to mental health, according to the organization's getINVOLVED page

Emily Schneider, a School of Engineering senior and vice president of RUOK?, helped create the club alongside Bryan Plaza, a now-alum of the engineering program, approximately two years ago.  

Initially, RUOK? consisted of events that took place over the course of one week at the beginning of the Fall 2022 semester, said Schneider. Due to limited reach, she said she turned this week-long event into a club so students could attend events throughout the entire semester instead.

Maria Pineiro Goncalves, a School of Engineering junior and president of the club, said the organization holds Tuesday evening meetings at the Busch Student Center on a biweekly basis.

Goncalves said the first meeting of the month is a general body meeting, during which members participate in icebreaker activities and plan the event that they will put on for the next month.

Though the semester has already begun, she said prospective members are encouraged to join the club's GroupMe, follow the Instagram page and attend future meetings. Since the organization is focused on making itself accessible to students, RUOK? chooses to forgo membership and attendance requirements, said Goncalves. 

"Every year, we're trying to also include a lot more people. We try to branch out as much as possible," she said. "We try to create the most open space possible, so people are the most encouraged to come."

While the club is open to students of all majors, RUOK?'s affiliation with the engineering school prompts the organization to have a representative for the Engineering Governing Council, said Sukhmani Arora, a School of Engineering junior.

Arora said in serving as the organization's representative, she attends weekly Monday evening meetings at the Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering on Busch campus. At these council meetings, she provides updates about the club's progress.

Additionally, these meetings are an opportunity to promote RUOK?'s events and connect with other organizations' representatives, said Arora.

"Bridging the gap between different organizations is really helpful," Arora said. "I got to be a liaison between not only this club but also all of (the) engineering community."

Ultimately, the Engineering Governing Council provides funding, Arora said, which helps RUOK? host a variety of events, both educational and engaging. 

Goncalves said the club sees an influx of attendees at its seasonal events and those held during midterms and finals. Among these events are pet therapy, during which students can play with therapy animals in between class breaks, and Carbs and Caffeine, when students can have coffee and snacks while studying for finals, she said.

Schneider said that while the events are open to non-club members, attendance varies depending on the type of event. Club members share their feedback during a debriefing session to determine if they want an event to be recurring or altered, she said.

She said the organization also partners with professors and organizations, both on- and off-campus, to host educational events. Last semester, RUOK? partnered with the New Jersey chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics for an informational session, and with Mary Nucci, an associate teaching professor in the Department of Human Ecology, for nature journaling sessions as part of Nucci's larger research project, said Schneider.

Goncalves said the organization is working to bring back partnerships it has had in the past and create new ones for the upcoming semester.

She said the club's four committees — event planning, outreach, fundraising and public relations/marketing — are an integral part of planning these events and fostering these partnerships. These committees brainstorm event themes, network with other organizations, raise funds via bake sales and advertise upcoming events, said Goncalves.

"It's really nice that we have such a big opportunity for students to … really advocate for what they would like to see on campus," Schneider said. "When you join our club, your voice is very much so listened to."

Schneider, Goncalves and Arora said RUOK?'s presence helps in not only destigmatizing but also prioritizing mental health for University students.

Schneider said it is as important to prioritize mental well-being as someone would their physical well-being. Goncalves said it is easier to manage coursework and friendships when an individual focuses on their mental health. Arora said mental health "should be normalized more" despite the busy schedules college students undertake.

"I feel like (mental health has) been sort of taboo for a long time, so just being able to openly discuss things is really important. So, that's what I try to do in the club," said Goncalves. "Getting to see that people are more interested really gives me hope that this club has a lot of potential."