SHEHATA: Obsession with labels

Students should use college to explore their interests and have personal growth. – Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko/Pexels

Growing up, we loved those personality quizzes. We just had to know which Hogwarts house we were in or which season best encompassed our personality. But it is ridiculous to think that a single label can best represent who we are. Though we no longer describe ourselves as Slytherins, the habit of categorizing ourselves still exists.

In hopes that it helps us understand ourselves, many students feel intense pressure to organize themselves under specific labels despite college being a time for self-discovery. But, in reality, it can also limit you.

Social media influences us to live a lifestyle that has a specific aesthetic. We are pressured to present ourselves as polished and brandable. Presenting yourself in a certain way helps attract people similar to you because assumptions can be made about you. This limits the people you interact with. Only surrounding yourself with people identical to you jeopardizes opportunities to explore yourself by interacting with different people.

Other pressure groups could be family. They could have expectations around academic and career paths that impact how we imagine our futures. Society quickly assumes what your future holds based on labels usually assigned by family. If you are an excellent debater, then you should be a lawyer. If you are good at memorization, then you should be a doctor.

These assumptions can limit your potential for personal growth and exploration, as they may steer you away from fields that genuinely interest you. For instance, if you are a good debater with a passion for art, you might feel pressured to pursue law instead of following your artistic aspirations.

Trying new things or improving weak areas is essential. Engaging in foreign experiences, such as studying abroad or exploring different cultures, motivates personal development that opens doors you previously did not know you were interested in.

These experiences can challenge preconceived notions and make you more open-minded. Perhaps you came to college already sure of the particular career or lifestyle you want. Still, you discover a new passion by joining an art class or attending a workshop outside your comfort zone. By exploring different identities and lifestyles, you can find new passions, gain a broader perspective and ultimately grow as a person.

College is a catalyst for identity exploration. It is a time of growth and development. Students get to explore what it means to be independent, which motivates them to explore what they want in life through clubs, cultural organizations and interdisciplinary courses. These experiences are beneficial in providing opportunities to interact with people with different beliefs than yourself, helping us reflect on our own beliefs.

But, if you make the mistake of convincing yourself that you already know who you are, you miss out on those experiences. This is why viewing identity as fluid should be encouraged more. Avoiding fixed labels protects you from self-fulfilling prophecies.

As the labeling theory explains, society's labels on people or particular groups can influence their behavior. For instance, if you constantly categorize yourself as anti-social, you will avoid social events because you do not believe you can escape from the box you put yourself in. Over time, this self-imposed restriction reinforces the belief that you are incapable of being social, creating a cycle where your behavior conforms to the label.

Some labels are forced onto us by institutions. If you are Arab, then you may check a box for "white." If you do not use she/her or he/him pronouns, then you are "other." These institutional labels — such as race, gender and sexual orientation — can oversimplify complex identities, leading to exclusion or feelings of alienation. But even in the face of these external forces, it is essential to resist the urge to put yourself into boxes that do not fully reflect who you are.

Self-discovery is a never-ending process. Resisting the urge to label yourself and conform to others' expectations will help you focus on broadening your experiences. So take the time to challenge the assumptions, break free from rigid labels and embrace the unknown — because the most fulfilling version of yourself is the one that evolves, adapts and continually grows.

Somiah Shehata is a first-year in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in journalism and media studies. Her column, “Anything and Everything,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

*Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.