School of Communication & Information students ready for spotlight with '#BeCOMM Talk Show'

The #BeComm Talk Show is an upcoming event from the School of Communication and Information that unites students, professors and alumni. – Photo by @ru_becomm / Instagram

At some point or another in their collegiate career, every Rutgers student has to answer one dreaded, existential question: What's your major?

While this question looms over the heads of most undergraduate students during icebreakers and family dinners, it doesn't have to. If the #BeCOMM campaign is any indication, exploring your major and potential career path can be a fun and rewarding journey.

On October 23, The Yard @ College Avenue will be transformed into a talk show as a part of the School of Communication and Information's ongoing social media campaign devoted to celebrating and promoting the communication major. Since its inaugural rendition in the Fall 2023 semester, the event has already become a refuge for undecided students and seniors, alike.

As part of the talk show, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Rutgers alum Grace Lewis will interview an assemblage of fellow alumni, professors and students. While she appeared as a guest last year, now, as a host, she'll have another opportunity to reflect on her campus experiences and impart some of her wisdom.

"Now I am motivated to make sure my name is one that they go, 'Did you know she went to Rutgers!?' I want to inspire the next generation like those before me did," she said. "During my undergraduate and graduate study, I was blessed with patient alumni who carved out time to pay it forward ... Pay it forward, and work hard to be someone worth listening to."

Lewis' sentiment of supporting further growth among students resonates throughout the event and extends to its guests, including Gloria Vanderham, who graduated from Rutgers more than two decades ago.

While she's motivated by a sense of responsibility as an alum to maintain a strong community, she also has a strong personal connection to the University.

"My advice to students is to take advantage of every opportunity that is available at Rutgers — join the club, do internships, know your professors and network," she said. "This year is even more special for me because my son is in his first year in the School of Arts and Sciences. He's the seventh in our family to attend Rutgers."

In addition to the heartwarming stories and illuminating insight, the #BeCOMM Talk Show also offers a special opportunity for students enrolled in the "Strategic Public Relations Event Planning" course taught by Mark Beal, an assistant professor of professional practice in the School of Communication and Information.

During the fall semester, students in the course gain hands-on experience in planning an event and raising awareness for the campaign, which culminates in the spring music festival, "COMMchella."

Beal views it as an alternative to traditional learning, particularly as students transition from classrooms to offices or wherever their degree leads them.

"The #BeCOMM campaign ... has provided students with timely and relevant experiential learning opportunities that they leverage as they transition from college to career," he said. "The campaign has also unified and mobilized students, alumni, faculty and staff in celebration of the communication major at Rutgers University."

Students who get involved have a variety of unique roles and tasks. For Sam Wondoloski, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, the class meant designing posters and collaborating with the event planning team to engage businesses at The Yard.

"Organizing an event differs greatly from learning in a classroom in that it provides real-life and work experience that you don't get from textbook learning. In typical classes, you can close the textbook and move on to the next chapter or lesson," she said. "Planning an event requires consistent attention and focus before, during and after the event."

Even for students satisfied with their current major, the free event provides students the opportunity to network with alumni and enhance their LinkedIn profiles by getting a new headshot from a complimentary photographer.

Of course, visitors can also get a much-needed break from classes. The talk show will feature a sketch artist, free Krispy Pizza and free #BeCOMM merchandise, while supplies last.

In the event of rain, the event will be rescheduled to October 30.