Rutgers women's soccer shut out by No. 9 Iowa to end 10-game unbeaten streak

The Rutgers women's soccer team suffered its first conference defeat of the season against Iowa on Sunday. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The Rutgers women's soccer team suffered its first loss in 10 games after falling 2-0 to Iowa on Sunday afternoon. The Scarlet Knights (9-2-3, 5-1-2) lost at home for the first time since Oct. 15, 2023, and were shut out for just the second time this season against the Hawkeyes (11-1-3, 6-1-1), who controlled the game from start to finish.

After a hat trick in the previous game from sophomore forward Ashley Baran and the return of senior forward Riley Tiernan, coming off a suspension, Rutgers' offense was back to full strength. But after picking up five yellow cards this season, redshirt freshman midfielder Gabriela Gil was suspended for Sunday's game. Head coach Mike O'Neill elected to give freshman defender Mikayla Mandleur her first career start in place of Gil.

The first half was a stalemate, with both teams going back and forth. No. 9 Iowa had a golden chance after freshman defender Claire Hammill played a dangerous pass to redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Olivia Bodmer right in front of the goal that was desperately cleared away.

After 36 minutes of back-and-forth action, the Hawkeyes had a corner that deflected in the box off the head of Kenzie Roling and was volleyed into the net by Sofia Bush for her 4th goal of the season. At the break, Iowa had the advantage in shots (9-4) and corner kicks (6-1).

The second half matched the circumstances of the Knights' previous game, as they were down a goal at halftime. But the Hawkeyes scored first out of the locker room, doubling their lead approximately 5 minutes into the second half.

Elle Otto played a pass into Meike Ingles. Ingles shot it with her right foot past Bodmer and toward the left post in what was a thunder strike.

The most clear-cut chance for Rutgers came in the final 2 minutes of the game. Sophomore midfielder Brianna Azevedo picked up a deflection at the top of the box and struck it one time, but her shot hit off the post.

The Knights, who were third in the Big Ten standings going into the game, dropped crucial points as Iowa overtook them. This was the first time all season that Rutgers conceded 2 goals in back-to-back games. After Michigan State ended their seven-game shutout run, the Knights have now conceded a goal in each of their last four matches.

After suffering its first loss in conference play, Rutgers will travel to West Lafayette, Indiana, to take on Purdue on Thursday night. The game will begin at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Jonathan Vasquez's work, follow @VazSpeaksSports on X.