Rutgers field hockey begins 3-game homestand with tests against Michigan State, No. 4 Ohio State

The Rutgers field hockey will look to find some success at home this weekend after finding none on its three-game road trip. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The Rutgers field hockey team is set to host two Big Ten teams this weekend. The Scarlet Knights (4-7, 1-4) have had a very difficult schedule this season, and that only continues this week with two conference matchups against Michigan State and Ohio State.

Rutgers will host the Spartans (7-6, 0-3) on Friday, in what is the first of a three-game homestand. The Knights are returning from an unsuccessful road trip, suffering losses to Northwestern, Indiana and Michigan.

Michigan State is coming off a 3-1 win against Central Michigan after a pair of tough losses to Maryland and Kent State in the games prior. The team still has not snagged a conference win this year, so they will be looking to capitalize against Rutgers.

The Spartans have a very close scoring margin with their opponents, outscoring the opposition by only 30-28. Michigan State has several athletes who have added to its offense, but Emma O'Neill leads the team with 5 goals and is second on the team with five assists.

Before Friday's match with the Spartans, the Knights will host their Letterwinners Celebration as part of Homecoming celebrations to honor field hockey alumni.

The schedule then continues on Sunday, when Rutgers will host the Buckeyes (11-1, 2-1). No. 4 Ohio State has only suffered one loss this season, which came against Michigan, a team that the Knights have also fallen to.

The Buckeyes will be a hard team to compete with, even with the home advantage that Rutgers will have.

Ohio State has devastated its opponents, outshooting and outscoring its foes 196-92 and 44-9, respectively. Makenna Webster leads her team with an impressive 12 goals and nine assists, being the most glaring offensive threat on the squad.

The Knights will also have to try to get past the Buckeyes' solid goalkeeper Abby Danson. Danson has only given up 8 goals in her 12 starts for Ohio State.

This weekend, Rutgers must tighten its performance to compete with two top-notch Big Ten programs, especially the Buckeyes. The team desperately needs some offensive sparks and defensive stability to walk away with some wins during this homestand.

Friday's matchup will begin at 1 p.m. and Sunday's at noon. Both games will take place at the Bauer Track and Field Complex on Livingston campus and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.