Looking to 2024 general election: Deadlines, resources for student voting

Rutgers students have less than two weeks to register to vote in the upcoming general election. – Photo by Phil Hearing / Unsplash

Rutgers students have until October 15 to register online, in person or by mail to vote in the 2024 general election, according to an Instagram post by NJ Advance Media.

Ahead of the election, the Eagleton Institute of Politics' Center for Youth Political Participation compiled a list of poll locations for Rutgers—New Brunswick, Rutgers—Newark and Rutgers—Camden students.

The list is organized according to proximity to residence halls, with a mix of on- and off-campus locations, such as student centers and local elementary schools. Those residing off-campus may refer to the state's poll locator.

Students also have the option to vote early in person from October 26 to November 3, with the nearest county-provided poll locations being the Kennedy branch of the Piscataway Public Library and the New Brunswick Hub Teen Center.

Other upcoming deadlines include absentee and mail-in voting, for which students must request forms by October 29 and return them in person or through the mail by 8 p.m. on November 5, NJ Advance Media reported.

The Center for Youth Political Participation reminds students to register where they intend to vote in order for their votes to be validated.

For additional information, RU Voting National answered some common questions about voting, identifying one's political leaning and finding reliable sources of information on current events and candidates.