'Live from New York,' 'Saturday Night' is prime-time triumph

"Saturday Night" offers a glimpse into the mind of Lorne Michaels, played by Gabriel LaBelle, the mastermind behind "Saturday Night Live." – Photo by @DiscussingFilm / X.com

"The show doesn't go on because it's ready — it goes on because it's 11:30," is a Lorne Michaels mantra that runs throughout Jason Reitman's "Saturday Night," a dramatization of the absolute chaos that unfolded before the first episode of "Saturday Night Live," ("SNL").

The film takes place 90 minutes before the Oct. 11, 1975, premiere, as time stamps interspersed throughout the film count down to the broadcast. Whether you're a diehard "SNL" fan or someone who watches "SNL" clips on TikTok, the authentic take offers some fascinating behind-the-scenes insights.

The film follows creator Michaels (Gabriel LaBelle) and a cast of up-and-coming comedians, including Chevy Chase (Cory Michael Smith), Gilda Radner (Ella Hunt), Dan Aykroyd (Dylan O'Brien), Laraine Newman (Emily Fairn), John Belushi (Matt Wood), Garrett Morris (Lamorne Morris) and Jane Curtin (Kim Matula).

While they're clearly talented, the performance is all over the place: the sound and microphones aren't working correctly, lights are falling from the ceiling, the set is catching fire and it seems like everyone backstage is doing drugs. Rosie Shuster (Rachel Sennott) and Dick Ebersol (Cooper Hoffman) are the meditators in the situation, constantly reminding Lorne what to do and all of the issues at hand. 

The extended cast, which includes an NBC page (Finn Wolfhard), Neil Levy (Andrew Barth Feldman), Chevy Chase's fiancé, Jacqueline Carlin (Kaia Gerber) and comedian Milton Berle (J.K. Simmons), only add to the zaniness.

"Saturday Night" captures the high-stress and fast-paced environment of Studio 8H, mainly through its cinematography. There are long takes that follow characters up and down stairs and through hallways. Conversations occur in front of the camera with pure pandemonium in the background, including arguments and even a llama. There's never a dull moment on-screen.

There's a musicality to the film, stemming from first-episode guests, Billy Preston (Jon Batiste) and Janis Ian (Naomi McPherson). Musical guests are an essential staple of "SNL," so the score, also by Batiste, is crucial.

Another part of the film's intrigue results from Lorne's infectious ambition. There are too many sketches to fit in the 90-minute time frame of an episode, and they all require intricate sets and props. Yet, as the leader of the show, the audience comes to believe in him, mostly through LaBelle's performance.

Throughout the film, Lorne is confronted with a question by his friends and colleagues: what even is "SNL"? NBC studio executive Dave Tebet (Willem Dafoe) serves as an antagonistic figure lurking in the background, looming over his shoulders. The stakes are at an all-time high.

But, the magic of the show and this film is its authenticity — it can't easily be defined. The show is live, which means, whatever happens, can't be edited out. Improv isn't encouraged, but it's sometimes needed and inevitable.

With the eccentric cast, it's clear that this show is made with a lot of love, which overcomes the meddling and distrust from studio executives. The behind-the-scenes antics, whether stressful or not, are needed to make the show happen. It makes the eventual success all the more satisfying. 

The show's impact on comedy and sketch television is shown through the film, as the once-unknown comedians are icons today. The actors don't simply perform caricatures, they embody their counterparts.

With 50 years on the air, the messy premiere of "SNL" has clearly paid off. But, even if you've never seen an episode of "SNL," you'll get a laugh from this movie. If you're in the mood for comedy or a quick history lesson, "Saturday Night" is the perfect film for you.