LIESE-SPENCER: In defense of Chappell Roan: We should all be critical of politicians

Chappell Roan's comments regarding her non-endorsement of Vice President Kamala Harris are indicative of healthy criticism of politicians – Photo by @TheAVClub/X.com

Singer and LGBTQ+ icon Chappell Roan, who recently experienced an astronomical rise to pop stardom, set the internet ablaze on September 20, when "The Guardian" published an interview where she mentioned she did not "feel pressure to endorse someone" in the heated 2024 election between former President Donald J. Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris.

Noting that "there are problems on both sides," she suggested people think for themselves and vote in small elections. Following backlash from fans, Roan elaborated on TikTok that she intends to vote for Harris but is unwilling to endorse because she is dissatisfied with Harris in numerous ways. Specifically, Roan referenced Harris' continued support of Israel's military actions in Gaza.

Roan's stance on the election is not radical. Her disillusionment with the government reflects the overwhelming sentiment among leftists due to the Democratic Party's gradual shift to the right. In terms of strategy, belittling Roan for wanting better than what is being offered is futile and alienates young voters who feel similarly.

This past week, social media has been awash with footage of explosions and carnage in Lebanon due to Israeli bombing, disconcertingly juxtaposed with people berating Roan for refusing to endorse the Democratic Administration that is providing said bombs.

As of August 15, more than 40,000 Gazans have been killed by the Israeli military, and according to the Palestinian Health Ministry, 56 percent of those murdered were women and children. The death toll is probably much higher due to the fact that approximately 10,000 bodies are trapped under rubble, along with factors like disease contributing to additional deaths.

For nearly a year, the Biden Administration has continued to send billions of dollars to Israel, allowing these massacres to continue. Recently, the war has escalated beyond Gaza since Israel started bombing Lebanon while enjoying an additional $8.7 billion in military aid from the U.S.

Trump is no friend to Palestine, and his presidency would be devastating for minorities and the U.S. as a whole. A Harris victory would be a landmark one in many respects, and I understand why people are excited and hopeful. Yet, dissatisfaction that the supposedly progressive option we are being told to vote for and endorse intends to continue funding the bombing of Palestinians and others in the Middle East should not be suppressed.

It is unnerving how many Democrats have reduced the screams of children trapped under the rubble of their own homes and shot at by Israeli Defense Force tanks to just another policy, accusing those critical of the Democratic Administration of being apathetic or single-issue voters.

Another reason to feel disillusioned with the state of U.S. politics is the inconsistency of criticisms being levied. Aging President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. was labeled "Genocide Joe" by many Democrats, while camera-ready Harris has evaded such labels despite repeatedly aligning herself with Biden's policy and promising to continue weapon shipments.

This difference in public perception suggests the increasing power of memes over policy and ideology. Harris is more charismatic and eloquent than Trump and Biden and seems more personable. Rather than concrete information, coconut memes and articles denouncing Trump are popular ways of expressing support for Harris on social media. The Harris-Walz campaign website is no more helpful for those interested in policy information.

The Democratic platform is focused on appealing to young voters through memes, pop culture and warnings of a sinister future with Trump. While a Trump presidency is undoubtedly frightening, Democrats are using him as a shield.

Rather than elaborating on their own policies, they evade criticism simply by reminding us they are at least better than a bigoted aspiring dictator. There is truth to this, but no one should be pressured to profess loyalty for the bare minimum without the confidence that comes with transparency and communication. Simply being more progressive than Trump does not automatically make the Democrats progressive.

While young voters will be critical in battleground states, some older Democrats evidently believe that they alone remember the 2016 election and Trump's presidency and are uniquely qualified to speak on politics.

Aside from the fact that 26-year-olds like Roan were also voting adults at that time, being condescending to young people has rarely been a productive political strategy. Liberals frequently mock Trump supporters for their own cultish enthusiasm in place of questioning, only to disparage those who dare demand more of a Democratic politician.

Politicians must be treated as public servants who we push to do better, not as idols or friends. If a politician is only your friend until you are an American citizen trapped in Lebanon as Israel drops U.S.-funded bombs on you, the distinction should be clear.

Keeping Trump out of office is admittedly an urgent matter and this article is not intended to discourage voting or political involvement. But voting should also not be the pinnacle of activism and it is crucial that marginalized communities are supported every day, not just used as pawns to garner support for the "less evil" candidate.

Ascribing enormous weight to celebrity endorsements only to mock said celebrities for being ignorant, out of touch and unqualified to speak about politics when they do not fall into line is hypocritical. I hope that someday Democrats reserve such scrutiny for politicians and world leaders rather than pop stars.

Beatrice Liese-Spencer is a first-year at Mason Gross School of the Arts majoring in art and design. Liese-Spencer’s column, “What’s the Verdict”, runs on alternate Wednesdays.

Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.