How Darrell Butler found his recipe for success with Fat Darrell sandwich

For anyone who doubted Rutgers alum Darrell Butler, the continued success of his signature RU HUNGRY? sandwich is making them eat their words. – Photo by Elliot Dong and Erica M. Butler

It was a particularly bad day for Darrell Butler — he was late for class and got yelled at by a couple of professors. On top of that, he was later caught up in a terrible frat party that left him hungry and unsatisfied. As a last attempt to brighten his day, he visited his favorite food trucks for a late-night sandwich.

But he craved something a little different from the usual Fat Cat sandwich, so he requested a unique twist.

No one, including Butler, would've thought that this little shift in his regular college routine would birth an iconic New Jersey sandwich: the Fat Darrell, a combination of chicken tenders, mozzarella sticks and french fries, topped with a tangy marinara sauce.

Butler's inspiration for his sandwich came from his love for food — he described himself as someone who just "loves to eat."

The Rutgers alum had no intention of making the now-famous Fat Darrell — he just got bored of the ramen sitting in his room and decided to get creative with his comfort foods. Whether it was in the kitchen or through his endeavors in sports entertainment, creativity has always been the key.

"I just like creative outlets. (For) the sandwich, I was trying to come up with a creative solution," he said.

As Butler rattled off the ingredients to the cook, the impact was felt almost immediately. People literally down the line began to order his concoction. By the next day, the Fat Darrell became a campus favorite, one of the most popular items on the RU HUNGRY? Grease Truck menu.

It quickly became clear that the impact of the sandwich couldn't be contained within the New Brunswick campus. In 2004, The Fat Darrell was named the best sandwich by Maxim magazine, propelling Butler's career in the entertainment industry.

"I started getting invitations from different news outlets. Like, Good Morning America had me … I made it on Paula Dean's show back then," he said.

Butler's sandwich was also featured on "Man v. Food" a travel show hosted by Adam Richman. In the episode, Richman attempted the "Fat Sandwich Challenge" — eating five Fat Sandwiches in 45 minutes. Complete the challenge, and you'll have a sandwich namesake of your own. Butler served as his hype man.

Despite being featured in these culinary shows, Darrell humorously admitted to having very limited culinary experience. But, he still was thankful to the cooks at the Grease Truck who taught him how to prepare the sandwich the proper way — the Rutgers way.

The success of the sandwich has since opened many doors for its creator. Soon after, Butler became a certified personal trainer and was featured on many health sites, something he saw as ironic, considering his greasy sandwich creation.

Beyond food, he has also built a career in sports entertainment, starting with an internship for the Philadelphia Eagles during his years at Rutgers. He's continued working with the NFL, helping behind-the-scenes for the Super Bowl for the last six seasons.

"It's funny how things tie in. Truth be told, I didn't actually even want to go to college. I wanted to go straight in entertainment, and my parents kind of forced me to go," he said. "But it was like the best decision I've ever made."

The legacy of the Fat Darrell lives on in 2024. Even with the original Grease Truck long gone, students can still pick up the meal at RU HUNGRY? The sandwich has come to represent more than just cheap, comfort college food. It stands for creativity, pride and the courage to take a leap.

Butler shared the most important lesson he learned from creating the sandwich: sometimes you just have to go for what you want. The continued success of the sandwich is a testament to that.

"Go for what you want," he said. "If you're persistent and keep putting yourself out there, eventually you'll get to where you want."