Great Scott! 'Back to the Future: The Musical' soars as Broadway's newest hit

Roger Bart and Casey Likes wowed audiences with their banter in "Back to the Future: The Musical." – Photo by @bttfbway / Instagram

For many, 1985's sci-fi classic "Back to the Future" remains a shining example of a flawless film. Its unique blend of comedy, suspense and originality set it apart from anything that has come before or since. 

Adapting any film into a Broadway musical is a complex process, let alone one as revered as "Back to the Future." Fortunately for fans of the film, the Broadway adaptation delivers its own fresh iteration of the tale, while also capturing the heart of what made the original so beloved. 

The story remains essentially untouched, with most character names and story beats intact. We are treated to the same McFly Family in Hill Valley, California, with their 1980s wardrobe and the DeLorean that we know and love. Despite a few minor tweaks to some locations and smaller plot details, no changes conflict with the spirit of the original film.

Since it's mostly the same story that viewers have memorized over the course of 40 years, the production doesn't rely solely on the familiar plot points to keep the audience engaged. The energy and humor of a revamped script, alone, make the adaptation feel like a worthy innovation to its predecessor.

Written by Bob Gale, one of the original films' co-writers, the musical carries itself with a more frantic, comedic tone that is better suited to stage than screen. While both adaptations maintain a suspenseful feeling, the musical derives more laughs out of Marty McFly's (Casey Likes) situation, as most of the audience knows it will all be OK in the end.

Much of the musical's humor and charm comes from the central performance of Likes who, like his film counterpart Michael J. Fox, performs Marty with the right balance of wit, naivety and a desire to get home. Paired with a stellar vocal performance, Likes is an incredibly enjoyable lead and a perfect fit for Marty.

He's matched equally by Roger Bart, whose Dr. Emmett Brown, while not identical to Christopher Lloyd's, contains just as much, if not more eccentricity and heart. Bart's hilarious delivery leaves the audience, and even Likes, in stitches for the majority of his stage time, yet it never feels like an imitation.

The best moments in the show feature not only the comedic banter between the powerhouse duo, but also the more somber moments of true friendship that come across in their performances.

The two leads are backed by an equally energetic ensemble, who all remain true to their original iteration. One exception and standout is Jelani Remy, whose Mayor Goldie Wilson receives an extended role, prominently featuring Remy's extraordinary voice.

While the performances bring light and energy to the production, its technical mastery elevates the show to the point of a true spectacle, in the best sense.

The show features an intricate mix of lighting, practical and video effects, a combination that effectively places the viewer in the same wonder as Marty, as it's never overly apparent how any one effect is being pulled off.

Without spoiling, the ending features a particular stunt that left the audience's jaws dropped, with a spectacle that must be considered among Broadway's best.

The only slight downside to "Back to the Future: The Musical" was its lack of any real standout songs. The vocal performances were on point, but the material was not anything groundbreaking, as the show relied more on its laughs and energy than musical set pieces.

Overall, "Back To The Future: The Musical" soars as a zanier, fast-paced retelling of an all-time classic. Though it may not surpass the original, it sets itself apart through its dazzling effects, well-timed humor and an infectious energy that's hard not to enjoy.