Four must-watch matches on Rutgers wrestling's 2024-2025 schedule

Head coach Scott Goodale has high anticipations for the Rutgers wrestling team's upcoming 2024-2025 season. – Photo by Evan Leong

"I'm excited. Listen, you know what we have coming in from a recruit standpoint — it's one of the best classes we've ever had. We know what we have coming back," said Rutgers wrestling head coach Scott Goodale after senior 133-pounder Dylan Shawver and graduate student 285-pounder Yaraslau Slavikouski earned All-American honors, both finishing seventh at the NCAA Championships last March.

Goodale is right — the Scarlet Knights return 9 of their 10 starters from last season and bring in the No. 4 recruiting class, the program's highest since 2007-2008.

There's high anticipation for Rutgers this season, and rightfully so. After all, last season, the team won eight straight matches and started conference play 3-0 for the first time since joining the Big Ten. The Knights lost duals against blue-blood programs in Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State and Penn State, but they showed signs of improvement and resilience in those defeats.

With that said, here are four matches to look out for this season.

December 6 versus Lock Haven

Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus will be rocking on December 6 when Rutgers wrestles Lock Haven in its home opener. It'll be a special match for Goodale, who previously wrestled for the Bald Eagles from 1990 to 1994, amassing 99 wins and qualifying for the NCAA Tournament three times. He was also inducted into the Lock Haven Athletics Hall of Fame in September.

It will also be the first meeting between both programs since 2017, when the Knights lost 22-16 in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.

November 17 versus NC State

A neutral site matchup in Toms River against one of the best teams in the country will be one to look out for very early in the season. New Jersey is one of the best states for wrestling, so expect a huge turnout at the RWJBarnabas Health Arena on November 17, which will be hosting its first collegiate matches in the venue's history.

NC State finished the 2023-2024 season ranked No. 7 nationally after going undefeated in conference play. The Wolfpack had seven wrestlers win an ACC title and three finish on the podium at the NCAA Championships.

"It's almost like a home match, and it's the Jersey Shore and it's NC State — probably start the year number four or five in the country," Goodale told Rutgers wrestling broadcaster Nick Kosko over the summer. "It'll be well-attended, it'll be a sellout and there's reasons why we did it."

November 22 at Virginia Tech

Another difficult test for the Knights so early in the season will be in Blacksburg, Virginia, five days after wrestling NC State.

Last season, Virginia Tech defeated Rutgers 19-12 in an entertaining dual from start to finish. The Hokies went on to have two wrestlers win ACC titles and crowned a national champion in Caleb Henson for just the second time in program history.

Jan. 24, 2025 versus Penn State

The most anticipated match of the 2024-2025 season for the Knights is at home against the Nittany Lions on Jan. 24, 2025. The last two times these teams wrestled, Jersey Mike's Arena was sold out, so expect the same outcome and rowdy environment again.

Rutgers fell flat against Penn State last season, losing 35-3 in State College, Pennsylvania. The match was highlighted by Shawver's upset win over then-No. 6 Aaron Nagao.

Despite having the home advantage, the dual will be grueling. The Knights are 0-25 against the Nittany Lions all-time, who also return three national champions and two runner-ups.

"We'll wrestle (Penn State), which is great," Goodale said. "I'm sure they'll start the year number one in the country, and that'll draw some fans."

Rutgers will begin the season on November 9 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, with duals against Duke and Franklin & Marshall.

"A really good schedule — I mean you're in the Big Ten, it's gonna be an awesome, awesome schedule," Goodale said. "It's different. I like the home, I like the away, travel won't be crazy … A lot to look forward to for sure."

For more updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @MatthewMangam on X.