Eagleton, Vote16NJ discuss youth voting legislation backed by Murphy

Staff from the Eagleton Institute of Politics and the co-founders of Vote16NJ spoke with The Daily Targum about expanding youth voting. – Photo by Edmond Dantès / Pexels

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) recently endorsed legislation S3240/A4369 during a visit to Hoboken High School, according to a press release.

If signed, the bill would allow New Jersey residents as young as 16 years old to vote in their local school board elections. The bill was first introduced in the State Senate in May. Its primary sponsors are State Sen. Raj Mukherji (D-N.J.) and Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker (D-N.J.), who joined Murphy on his visit.

Together, they engaged in an Advanced Placement Government and Politics lesson and later emphasized the importance of voting.

The bill follows a previous effort in January to heighten youth civic engagement under the Murphy administration. The New Voter Empowerment Act, known as A3690/S1888, which allows 17-year-olds to vote in the primary election if they are 18 years old by the next general election, was signed on January 4.

Jessica Ronan-Frisch, associate director of the Center for Youth Political Participation at the Eagleton Institute of Politics, said she supports S3240/A4369.

"I think the bill is a good idea in school board elections, particularly, because we often think of schools as small microcosms of democracy," Ronan-Frisch said. "It's a great way for young adults to be able to take a first step in actually being able to choose and to do a little bit of research on who's representing them in their school." 

Similarly, Eagleton's Director of Education and Strategic Initiatives Ginger Gold Schnitzer said she sees the benefit of expanding youth rights in order to familiarize the voting process. But she also noted the newfound responsibility that communities would have if the bill were to pass, including providing access to reliable information related to political and financial issues.

"Giving 16- and 17-year-olds a vote in their local board of education election could help them foster a sense of civic responsibility early in life, and could perhaps encourage them to be more actively engaged citizens throughout their lives," she said.

Vote16NJ is an organization co-founded by Harvard University sophomore Anjali Krishnamurti and Yale University first-year Yenjay Hu that seeks to promote lower voting ages.

In addition to working closely with Murphy in his process of endorsing S3240/A4369, Vote16NJ also collaborates with different groups to mobilize their cause, including statewide organizations like the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey as well as nationwide groups like Vote16USA, according to Hu.

While the bill has not yet been heard by committees in either house of the State Legislature, Hu and Krishnamurti believe that if passed, it would be met with high voter turnout. But Schnitzer notes that this will likely vary by community.

"Often, our civic interest and feelings of preparedness come from the environment in which we live and grow," she said. "If these new voters face barriers like a complicated registration process or limited access to information about the candidates or the issues, turnout will be negatively impacted."

Looking ahead, the bill may take the forefront of Murphy's desired policies in his final year as governor, and if it does, Ronan-Frisch predicts a smooth progression through the state's legislative bodies. As Vote16NJ continues to back S3240/A4369, Krishnamurti remains hopeful for the change it could bring.

"The value of the youth voice in school board elections will bring these silenced perspectives to light and incentivize school board officials to directly listen to the individuals who are experiencing the effects of their decisions," Krishnamurti said.