Buckeyes Bested: Rutgers field hockey knocks off No. 3 Ohio State for statement win

On Sunday, the Rutgers field hockey team earned a statement 1-0 win over Ohio State, the No. 3 ranked team in the country. – Photo by Hamza Azeem

The Rutgers field hockey team completed an upset victory on Sunday with a shutout win against Ohio State. The Scarlet Knights (6-7, 3-4) won their second game of the weekend by blanking down the Buckeyes (12-2, 3-2) at home.

Rutgers proved its power and determination this weekend, as the Knights did not allow Michigan State and No. 3 Ohio State to score at Bauer Track and Field Complex on Livingston campus.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sophia Howard stood tall in the net for Rutgers, stopping the four Buckeyes' shots on goal. Howard was assisted by the strong defense in front of her.

Freshman forward Sophie Kuiper recorded the lone goal of the matchup, her second of the weekend and third of the season. She was assisted by graduate student forward Kara Heck, putting the Knights on the board in the final seconds of the opening period.

Despite the low score, the game was still jam-packed for Rutgers. The home team recorded 13 shots in the afternoon, all coming from eight different athletes. The Knights forced Ohio State's goalkeeper, Abby Danson, to make five saves in front of her net.

At the end of 60 minutes, Rutgers celebrated its 1-0 victory on home turf, adding to a successful homecoming weekend. The Knights were able to snag the victory with plenty of alumni and letter winners in attendance, all of whom were celebrated prior to the game.

This marks a massive win for Rutgers, as it is the Knights' second-ranked win and second victory over a top-10 opponent.

"This was a really important win for us," senior midfielder Paulina Niklaus said. "It was a great team fight the whole game. Everyone that played today played their best game. I'm really proud of the team that we found a way to win in the end."

It is evident that Rutgers has shown its grit through adversity this season and that it can handle the pressure and show up in big ways.

Two Big Ten wins this weekend puts the Knights in a much better position in the conference standings, as they now sit at the fifth spot across Big Ten teams.

Rutgers will continue its homestand into the final week of October, hosting Penn State on Friday for Senior Day and its final home game of the season.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.