U. students recognized in social entrepreneurship cohort

(Left to right) Rutgers alumni Michael Chodroff, Carmen Cusido and Shannon Sohn-Rice and Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies Steven Miller welcomed new Ripple Fellows at Saturday's event. – Photo by Carmen Cusido / LinkedIn

On Saturday, four Rutgers students were inducted as Ripple Fellows at a ceremony featuring Rutgers alumni as speakers.

The fellowships are sponsored by The Ripple Center, a group founded by Rutgers alum Michael Chodroff to promote social entrepreneurship among young students in New Jersey. The program involves mentorship work and business planning focused on social issues, according to The Ripple Center.

Awarded Rutgers students are School of Engineering junior Anushka John, Rutgers—New Brunswick alum and Rutgers—Newark School of Social Work master's candidate Miracle Matthews, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior Natalia Robles Carré and School of Environmental and Biological Sciences junior Logan Bruno.

Many awardees are also involved in extracurricular programs at the University, including the Aresty Research Center, the Office of Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance and Rutgers Formula Racing.

Rutgers alumni and journalists Shannon Sohn-Rice and Carmen Cusido spoke on a panel with Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies Steven Miller at the School of Communication and Information on the College Avenue campus on Saturday, according to a LinkedIn post by Cusido.

The University represented the largest portion of the 11-person cohort, with two fellows representing Drew University and others hailing from a variety of higher education institutions across the state.

"I am always excited to learn new things and to find ways in which my professional and personal contributions can make the world a better place," Robles Carré wrote.