U. researchers awarded $3.2 million to investigate health impact of micronanoplastics

Rutgers was awarded $3.2 million from the National Institutes of Health to help researchers study the possible health hazards of micronanoplastics on the human digestive system. – Photo by Naja Bertolt Jensen / unsplash.com

Rutgers researchers were awarded $3.2 million from the National Institutes of Health to study the potential risks of ingested micronanoplastics on the digestive system, according to a University article.

Micro- and nano-sized plastics are increasingly present in food, air and water due to manufacturing and other human-led activities. Because there is little research surrounding micronanoplastics, this five-year project allows the University to look into the growing concerns regarding whether these particles significantly impact an individual's health. 

The researchers will focus on the possible effects on the intestines, other organs, cellular processes as well as intestinal inflammation, according to the article.

Philip Demokritou, a professor in the Department of Environmental Occupational Health and Justice and the lead of the project, said that he hopes their results will lead to regulatory action and clear the way for new areas of pollutant research.