U. alum sworn into US Senate

Sen. George Helmy (D-N.J.), a Rutgers—Newark alum, became one of his home state's senators after being sworn in on September 9. – Photo by helmy.senate.gov

On September 9, Sen. George Helmy (D-N.J.) was sworn into the U.S. Senate, filling the seat vacated by former Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J), who resigned in August after being convicted of bribery and acting as a foreign agent.

From 2019 to 2023, Helmy was chief of staff to Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.). Since then, Helmy has served as the executive vice president, chief external affairs and policy officer for RWJBarnabas Health and as a commissioner for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, per his Senate website. Murphy announced his decision to appoint Helmy in August, according to a press release.

"For four and a half years, I witnessed firsthand (Helmy's) unique skill set, wealth of knowledge and willingness to pour his heart and soul into serving the people of our state," Murphy said in the release. "I have absolute confidence that he will serve New Jerseyans well over the next few months."

Murphy added that Helmy will serve until the results of November's general election between Rep. Andy Kim (D-N.J.) and Curtis Bashaw (R-N.J.) are certified, at which point Helmy will resign and the winner will be appointed. Kim is expected to win the reliably Democratic seat, according to monthly polls of likely voters.

Helmy graduated from Rutgers—Newark with a degree in psychology, later receiving a master's degree in finance and management from Harvard University. He is the first Coptic Orthodox Christian to serve in the Senate and the only Arab American senator in the 118th Congress.

A former senior staff member under Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Helmy will now be working alongside the senator.

"My career as a staffer has been about serving the people of (New Jersey) and getting the job done for those relying on us," Helmy wrote on social media platform X. "I commit to serving (New Jersey) with determination and to ensure our work benefits the people we serve."